• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Mali

The word 'ring true'

Hi, the word 'ring true' as defined in the dictionary is 'seem to be accurate' I was thinking if the words is suitable in my context 'childcare assistance found in extended family does ring true with the old adage of 'it take a village to raise a child' as child upbringing is a communal effort that should involved every member in the family hierarchical chart.'
    or maybe I should replace the underlined with the words 'is well echoed' if my context is wrong then how should use the word 'ring true' with 'old adage'. Thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The word 'ring true'

Quote Originally Posted by iereiy View Post
    Hi, the word phrase 'ring true' as defined in the dictionary is 'seem to be accurate'.

I was thinking if the words is suitable in my context Have I used the phrase correctly in this context?

"Childcare assistance found in extended familyfamilies does ring true with the old adage of 'It takes a village to raise a child' as because bringing up a child upbringing is a communal effort that should involved involve every member generation in of the family." hierarchical chart.'

or maybe Should I should replace the underlined with the words 'is well echoed'? If my context is wrong then how should I use the word 'ring true' with 'old adage'. Thanks in advance.
    Please see above for my corrections and amendments to your post, in red.

Your usage is not natural. There is nothing wrong with the context, just the way you worded it. I might say something like "The old adage 'It takes a village to raise a child' rings true when you think about several generations of a family being involved in bringing up a child."
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.