Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The president said at a press conference dominated by questions on yesterday's election results that he could not explain why the Republicans had suffered such a widespread defeat, which in the end would deprive the Republican Party of long-held superiority in the House.

The 1st layer:
the main clause is "The president said";
the prepositional phrase is "at a press conference dominated by questions on yesterday's election results";
the object clause is "that he could not explain why the Republicans had suffered such a widespread defeat, which in the end would deprive the Republican Party of long-held superiority in the House."

The 2nd layer:
the participial phrase "dominated by questions on yesterday's election results", for modifying "a press conference";
the object clause "why the Republicans had suffered such a widespread defeat", for "explain";
nonrestrictive attributive clause "which in the end would deprive the Republican Party of long-held superiority in the House", for "defeat".

The 3rd layer:
the prepositional phrase "on yesterday's election results", for "questions".

If you experts could have other explanation, would you please write it down in layers as I do. Thank you.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, if you insist on brackets, I will pass. If you are asking for help, it would be better to accept the help as it comes.

ALBO_Jay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mike, I have edited that post, hope it's now good in your eye.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.