Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In our book we have this task to fill in the gaps in the text with the most suitable sentences.So,here are two extracts:

1)Wind power is an alternative energy source which has been used for many years in countries like Holland and Denmark[gap].Strangely enough,even though it is one of the windiest countries in Europe,Britain has been slow to take advantage of wind power.

2)A single wind turbine can produce enough electricity to power 375 homes and this wind farms are already making a small but significant difference.[gap]As this number increases, we may well see wind power supplying as much as 10% of world's electricity demands and up to 20% of Britain's total.

And here are the sentences you should place in the text:
A) At the moment there are only around sixty wind farms in Britain both on land and offshore.
B)In fact, it is the world's fastest-growing source of energy.

My opinion is that A goes into the second extract and B into the first. But our teacher told us that it goes the other way around.And it's because 1) Teacher's book says so 2)There's a rule according to which you can't use 'it is' before the noun, so she says it would be impossible to say "Strangely enough,even though it is one of the windiest countries in Europe,Britain has been slow to take advantage of wind power" (it is before Britain) if Britain wasn't mentioned in the previous sentence.

Which of the answers is correct? And is there really a rule my teacher mentioned, I can't find anything on the net, I don't even know what this rule is called or in which part of the grammar course it can be found.

Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for the long text!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Your teacher is incorrect.

Tdol