Which is the most irregular verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector51

Member Type
Student or Learner
hey,I think English is such a strange language...for example,we have the verb "wait" ,why do we need the verb "await",but it's really interesting to remember all synonym words.

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Could you, pls, explain me one thing. In the list of irregular verbs, there are two forms for Past Simple & Partciple 1 for some of the verbs. What for these two forms are given & how to know which one to use? Because sometimes these two forms are absolutely differrent. :wink:

Hi Yulia

If both forms are accepted by English dictionaries and grammar ,then you can choose either of them. Sometimes one of the forms is more preferred by British English or American English . English dictionaries usually tell you which form is accepted by BrE and which one is AE.

For instance, the verb "learn" has two forms in the past and participle:

1. learn -learned - learned

2. learn - learnt - learnt

I was taught to use "learnt", but some time ago [in a message posted on this forum], I was told that "learned" is preferred by both BrE and AmE while "learnt" has became obsolete.

Romanian teachers prefer the second form [learnt]. They want to check if students are aware of the existence of this form, as well.

Regards,

Last edited:

MagickallWrdSmth

Member Type
Academic
The most difficult, most irregular verb is to lay because the simple present tense of the infinitive to lay is the same as the simple past tense of to lie AND it is difficult in many situations to decide which to use: e.g. Daniel likes to lay on the floor OR Daniel likes to lie on the floor. If the inflection spoken suggests consistent action happening in the past (and now) then use lay, but if it is happening right now use lie - In fact either is probably okay for meaning in this case so there's the rub.;-)

gabber

Member Type
English Teacher
I suppose it's "be," with its eight forms: be,being, been am, is are was, were.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know what is irregular verb but i don't know what is the most irregular verb? There are many and how to know which is the most irregular.

There are many sources on the web. Google "common English irregular verbs".

Status
Not open for further replies.