• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question 'the ways we will come to know and adore' vs 'the ways we have come to know and adore

Hello,

The following sentence is from an article on P.G. Wodehouse - Celebrating 100 years of Jeeves and Wooster

"Most remarkable is Wodehouse’s style, which is already musical and inventive and funny in the ways we will come to know and adore. "

I think it says 'in the ways we will come to know and adore' because that time his style was apparently not yet known and adored. Is this understanding correct?

Since the article is written in the present and meant for readers of the current time, would it not be better to say 'in the ways we have come to know and adore'?

Thank you
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Feb-2015 at 10:28. Reason: Fixed font size

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: 'the ways we will come to know and adore' vs 'the ways we have come to know and a

I would need more context before I started correcting tenses in the article.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: 'the ways we will come to know and adore' vs 'the ways we have come to know and a

Quote Originally Posted by Olympian View Post
    Since the article is written in the present and meant for readers of the current time, would it not be better to say 'in the ways we have come to know and adore'?
    Yes, I think that would be a better way of saying it. The writer seems to have got him/herself stuck in time warp and can't get out of it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Olympian, please give the name the author of your quoted text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

The author is Samanth Subramanian, as per the link.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, I think that would be a better way of saying it. The writer seems to have got him/herself stuck in time warp and can't get out of it.
    After I posted my question, I noticed another thing (which I should have noticed before) - namely, that the first part of the sentence says - "Most remarkable is Wodehouse’s style, which is already musical and inventive and funny ..."
    So the first part of the sentence is in the present, but the second part of the sentence seems to be in future tense ("which we will come to know and adore").

Would the entire sentence make more sense if the author intended to quote (and perhaps comment on) Wodehouse? I man if he planned to show how we will come to adore him? Sorry, the more I think, the more confused I am getting about the same. ;)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If he is writing about Wodehouse and is introducing a study of his work, it is fine to say that we will come to appreciate his style.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Because of technical reasons, I'm not able to access your link, but I shall make an educated (?) guess and agree with SoothingDave.

I know nothing about Mr. Wodehouse's writings, but let's say that he started writing about Jeeves and Wooster in 1915.

The author is writing in 2015.

I think that an author wants to involve her / his audience in the "action."

So the author takes us (the reader) back to, for example, 1925. The author uses the present tense to show us (who, in a sense, are back in 1925 with the author) that within 10 years, Mr. Wodehouse already has a distinctive style. And we will come to adore that style in the years that follow, the author promises us.

James

P.S. If a subsequent post shows that I am all wet (completely wrong), I shall delete this post.
    Last edited by TheParser; 24-Feb-2015 at 13:48. Reason: Replaced a preposition with a better one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The author is Samanth Subramanian, as per the link.
    Fair enough, but the OP should acknowledge the author without us having to open a link — which TheParser for one is unable to do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Fair enough, but the OP should acknowledge the author without us having to open a link — which TheParser for one is unable to do.
    Sorry, I did not realize that the webpage was inaccessible from where you are. I am still able to access it from here and I have taken a screenshot of the article and put it at the following link. I hope you can open it. I am sorry, that it is not a text file, but an image and the font is rather small.

http://jmp.sh/Yyf9WAR