[Vocabulary] An appropriate word for describing a sentence that uses the same word many times

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek_esl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm always on the lookout to effectively describe situations, things, entities, etc. using appropriate vocabulary - it makes the communication more strong and colorful. As of now, I was looking for a word to describe the following sentence -

"We as human beings interact with other human beings not only by interacting with them, but by also communicating with them at the same time."

I know that it is awkward to use the word 'interact' in more than once in this manner, but although the sentence deviates from the general trend of structuring sentences, it expresses the idea quite well.

How would one accurately describe such a sentence using a suitable negative word, apart from calling it sloppy, repetitious, "un-pedantic", unconventional, etc.?
Also, what positive word is best to describe such a sentence which may appear or sound sloppy but communicates the idea rather well?

Thanks, awaiting your kind response.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think this sentence communicates anything very well. The phrase "interact with...not only by interacting with" is problematic. Communication is a type of interaction, so setting it up as something different is also problematic.

abhishek_esl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
I don't think this sentence communicates anything very well. The phrase "interact with...not only by interacting with" is problematic. Communication is a type of interaction, so setting it up as something different is also problematic.

Thanks for your feedback, Mike. I know it does not really seem to make much sense but as a student of Human-Computer Interaction I have learned there is a fine distinction between communication and interaction. If you google the definition of interaction, it says "reciprocal action or influence". So basically, communication can be said as the active component of interaction (from what I gleaned). Interaction is more like an encapsulation of the concept of communication - while it itself is not really an action but a phenomenon which may include communication; resulting in reciprocal influence of two or more interacting agents. Hence, the phrase "We interact with other humans not only by interacting with them, but by communicating with them at the same time". I know it sounds sloppy, but I wanted to explain the concept in very simple terms during a class presentation. Hope that doesn't sound too pedantic, I was just trying to explain the best I could.

abhishek_esl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
P.S - Furthermore, interaction is a rather abstract concept and there can be many approaches to describing or defining it. Like for any abstract concept, these different approaches may or may not be paradoxical. For example, in the field of physics, matter, energy fields and subatomic particles all influence or interact with each other according to the myriad of the various laws of physics. To use the word "communication" here would be quite reductionistic as communication may or may not have any reciprocal effect on the entities involved but interaction definitely does.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It simply makes no sense to me. I communicate with my computer through a keyboard. And the computer communicates with me, sometimes with error messages. That is a form of interaction. You can slice it as finely as you wish, but that is still true.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't think we were talking physics.

abhishek_esl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
I didn't think we were talking physics.

The last thing I want is to argue recklessly on this matter. But quite honestly, I'm not sure you understood the context in which I was dealing with interaction. Physics was just an example, I was referring to a more holistic idea of interaction that is necessary to grasp scientific and philosophical concepts.

abhishek_esl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
I communicate with my computer through a keyboard. And the computer communicates with me, sometimes with error messages. That is a form of interaction. You can slice it as finely as you wish, but that is still true.

You just said it, man! That's one instance of how one may approach while describing interaction. While interaction and communication are notoriously similar, it would be wrong to say that both are commensurate with each other.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From the beginning, I said that communication was a form of interaction. A punch in the face is another. What is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.