[Vocabulary] What is the meaning of "queer" & "get proud" in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farshad.021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Turkey
What is the meaning of "queer" & "get proud" in this sentence?

Hey guys, hope you all are doing great.

I was watching a movie called "Life Partners" and I couldn't understand some of the sentences they said.
One of them is in the following context:
There are 2 girls and one of them is totally le*****. They are going to a...I don't know what exactly it is, but people are getting together and they are wearing some weird cloths and so on, anyway, they are going to that ceremony or something and suddenly they take off their jackets and one of them tells the other one (who is totally le*****):
A:You ready to get proud?
B: Dude, dude, I'm here, I'm queer, better get used to it.

I don't understand the meaning of "get proud" & "queer" here, also, 10 minutes later when that thing is over, girl B tells girl A: "thank you for coming to Pride with me today".

Any help would be appreciated,

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: What is the meaning of "queer" & "get proud" in this sentence?

You're allowed to write 'lesbian', Farshad. 'Queer' in this context means 'gay', 'lesbian' or 'homosexual'.

I assume that 'get proud' means 'proclaim your sexuality without shame' (but I stand to be corrected).

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes, gay "pride" is a big thing in America. They hold "pride parades."

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"We're here, we're queer, get used to it!" is a common chant/slogan heard at gay pride parades.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Farshad:

For many years in American history, the word "queer" was used as a very offensive insult.

Nowadays (as Ms. Dorchester wrote), some younger gay people are using that word on purpose.

Why?

Because they feel that if they proudly use that word, then that word will lose its power to hurt their feelings.

If you visit the United States, never use the word "queer" -- unless some gay people ask you to.

And never use the word "homosexual" -- unless you are working in the field of medicine or psychology. In regular conversation and writing, the socially acceptable word today is "gay."
Anyone who consistently uses the word "homosexual" (E.g., "The homosexuals are having a parade on Sunday") is often suspected of not liking gay people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.