• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Improve English

Hi All,

I want to improve my English and I am doing work.
    I am feeling depressed about my fluency because I surrounded by the people who talks English very fluently.

I don't have proper grammar knowledge and every time I am stuck with framing correct sentence during talk.
    I could not express my thoughts during conversation.

Please help me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Improve English

Quote Originally Posted by NishaV View Post
    I want to improve my English
    That's great!

I am feeling depressed about my fluency because I'm surrounded by the people who speak English very fluently.
    On the contrary! This is a great opportunity for you to learn from them.

I don't have proper grammar knowledge and every time I am stuck with composing a correct sentence when I talk in English.
    You can study English grammar freely online, and you need to be patient and practice what you learn.
    Have a look here:

https://www.usingenglish.com/esl/students/

Finally, be patient. It takes time to learn a language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Oman
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

NOT A TEACHER

I've been there too, it was horrible!
    Just like teechar said, it takes time to learn a language. An added tip from me would be listening to A LOT of English (If I were you, I'd listen to a podcast) so that you can get the knack of the pronunciation. Whenever you hear any word that you don't know the meaning of, run it through Google so that you can add a new word to your dictionary.

You should also read! If you read and listen to a lot of English, you'll reach a certain degree of mastery that you just wing it by the ear. Let me elaborate, you'll not be looking at the grammar copybook (like the ones I had in elementary school) when you are writing an essay. You'll just be like: "that doesn't sound right, I should omit the s".

Finally, it's a long and tedious process, but on the bright side, your punctuation is ok and you know some good vocabulary. You only need to work on the grammar a little.
    Good luck!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks for your replies.
    I am trying to find the meaning of sentences during learning. But I am facing difficult in translating and understanding it in my native language. Even I searched for online translators or some blogs to get more understanding in my native language and it's not worked out.
    I feel that I am not understanding it clearly and I am not convinced with that.

Can anyone of you tell me the ways to overcome this?
    Should I be think or talk in that language when learn it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Oman
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

NOT A TEACHER

https://translate.google.com/ use this to know the exact word in your native language, but it is not accurate at all when it comes to sentences, just put one word for it to be accurate enough.
    After you get a rough idea of the meaning, search for the word here: http://dictionary.reference.com/
    For your second question,

In my opinion, it depends on which stage of English mastery you're currently in.
    In your current stage, I suggest thinking in English ONLY when you're using it, as in typing or speaking. Don't talk to your presumably Indian friends in English, they'll poke fun at you! The first step is actually listening to and reading a lot of English, the skills will follow. It takes time, please don't rush it!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Learning not to depend on translating back into your first language is a useful skill- you have to come to accept the way the people do things in the language you are learning.

Tools like GoogleTranslate are useful if you're looking at a webpage in a foreign language and want a general idea of what the site is about, and they are improving, but they are still in their infancy and beyond giving you the gist, they are limited in what they can do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Hi All,

Thanks for your nice reply about learning.
    Since I am learning English, I would be keen to understand the meaning of sentences, able to talk and write English without grammar mistakes.

But, I got to know few key points of learning through this. Thank you.

Please correct the grammar errors also, so that I can improve my skills.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi all,

I want to improve my English and I am doing working on it.
    I am feeling depressed about my fluency because I am surrounded by the people who talks English very fluently fluent English speakers.

I don't have proper good grammar knowledge and every time I am frequently stuck with when framing correct sentences during talk when I speak.
    I could not cannot express my thoughts during conversation.

Please help me.
    Thanks for your replies.
    I am trying to find the meaning of sentences during by learning (no full stop here) but I am facing difficulties in translating and understanding it in my native language. Even I have even searched for online translators or some blogs to get more understanding in my native language and it's not worked out.
    I feel that I am not understanding don't understand it clearly and I am not convinced happy with about that.

Can anyone of you tell me the ways to overcome this?
    Should I be think or talk in that a language when while I am learning it?
    Hi all,

Thanks for your nice replies. about learning.

Since I am learning English, I would be keen to understand the meaning of sentences, and to be able to talk and write English without grammar mistakes.

But (no comma here) I got to know a few key points of learning through this. Thank you.

Please correct the grammar errors also, so that I can improve my skills.
    My corrections to your last three posts are above, in red (as requested).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.