Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hello!

I'm trying to apply a phonetic sound to the Russian letter "х". I've looked at various sites and have found "voiceless velar fricative". Is that correct? I don't want to make a blunder. Thanks in advance!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Many of us English teachers know what a voiceless velar fricative is. But I'll wager that few if any of us know what sound the letter "x" denotes in Russian. We used to have one guy but he hasn't been heard from recently.

Can you give us an example of the Russian pronunciation?

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Many would say it's very close to the English [h] but more articulate. The sound quality will also depend on the following vowel sound - it can be hard or soft.

edvalais

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Many of us English teachers know what a voiceless velar fricative is. But I'll wager that few if any of us know what sound the letter "x" denotes in Russian. We used to have one guy but he hasn't been heard from recently.

Can you give us an example of the Russian pronunciation?

Oops, sorry, forgot to add that bit. It's like the "ch" in "loch", or in the German "ich". It occurs in the name CheKHov.

The word I'm interested in is "glooKHar", with the stress on the second syllable. It's a type of grouse.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
The symbol for a voiceless velar fricative is ɣ, if that's what the sound really is.

In case it's a voiceless uvular fricative, (as in loch) the symbol for that is χ.

edvalais

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
The symbol for a voiceless velar fricative is ɣ, if that's what the sound really is.

In case it's a voiceless uvular fricative, (as in loch) the symbol for that is χ.

Thanks. What's the difference in sound between the two?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks. What's the difference in sound between the two?

I'll take a flyer on that. I think that ɣ borders on the sibilant, and χ on the guttural. But I am not an academic.

Last edited:

4elsik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello there. I'm neither an academic but being a native speak can provide you with a short video where some variations of the word are said (I should notice the narrator sounds muddy if that's the right word)

0:12-0:13 (Glookharyovo -- as if it was the name of a village), 0:37 (Glookharyom -- who with)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG9b66RAETQ

Alex S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The letter "X" in Russian makes a [h] sound. Sometimes they transliterate this letter as "kh" but not "ch". The sound "ch" is for the Russian letter "Ч". Russians do not use "ch" to transliterate their "X" letter otherwise Чехов (Сhekhov) would look like Chechov.

[h] is the closest sound for this letter, I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.