Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
I wrote this sentence:
"This can be considered as an important step of betterment from the previous systems..."
and the marker corrected 'betterment' to 'improvement', saying that 'betterment' is a very loaded word and has a different meaning with different connotations.

I then looked up the phrase loaded word on the Internet and found out that this is a term used in rhetoric, referring to language attempting to influence the reader/listener by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes. What I don't quite understand though, is what different connotations can 'betterment' have? Is it not essentially synonymous as improvement and equally positive? It seems intriguing to me.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It should be written: an important step for the /as an improvement of/over the previous system.

The word 'betterment' is not appropriate in the context.

Not a teacher

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One will usually see "betterment" used in phrases such as "the betterment of society".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"This is an important step of improvement from the previous system ..." is still awkward, and the 'from' is wrong.
I'd say, "This is a significant improvement on the previous system."

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Thank you all very much but it seems :) no one has any idea why betterment is a loaded word with different connotations in different contexts? Allow me to rephrase my question then - is betterment synonymous with improvement? Under what circumstances should one opt for betterment rather than improvement, or vice versa? Thanks again

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't consider "betterment" to be a loaded word. The word contains a meaning of improvement, but as discussed above, it is used for more important things than "improvement" is.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not convinced I've ever needed to use the word "betterment" but if I did, it would probably be in the context of "betterment of society". For me, it refers to a social or perhaps educational level.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my city, there is a political party named 'Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong'.

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, it's the type of word which turns up in that kind of phrase - a very formal (flowery, even) phrase where someone wanted to use a word which sounds more impressive than "improvement". However, in the name of that party, it is used in exactly the same way that MikeNewYork and I suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.