Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I posted one real incident happened in my life to improve my writing skills. Kindly review for any grammatical errors.

I went to Victoria Terminus (VT) station 4 years ago in Mumbai to reserve a train ticket for Chennai in the morning. An old man aged between 55 to 60 with white and gold seated adjacent to me when I was at reservation hall. He spokes fluent in English and Tamil as a native speaker.Then both of us introduced our personnel details,then he told me that he also from Chennai and came for reserve a ticket to one of his relatives. He said that he is a doctor from Chennai Appollo Hospital and came to Mumbai for special surgery. He elaborated his family background as one of his daughter studying in London and another son in Canada as a medical researchist. He also named some Bollywood about their surgery treatment and their survival because of his medical expertise.

I and my colleague attracted over his medical exposures. He gave us his business card for any help in Chennai for our family members. He also assured to serve medical cases with discount of 15 % through his influence at Appollo Hospital in Chennai,Then he informed that he wanted to move airport as his flight was scheduled at 2:00pm for Chennai.

We both decided not to miss the gentleman’s contact for any medical treatment in our family members since we believe that Appollo Hospital is one of the best medical services in Chennai. We started asking questions for our suffered childrens due to sleep apnea from both family. He replied that, “Dont worry,I will give one syrup medicines, no need to go for any other doctors and special surgery,they can recover within 2 months,the cost of medicine would be only INR 500!" He took his mobile at once and called someone to note the address to despatch the medicines through parcel service. Then he collected amount INR 500 from both and promised that medicines would be in our home before we reach at Chennai. We do not know his real face when we give money to him.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm posting details of one real incident which happened to me, in order to improve my writing skills. Kindly review my text for any grammatical errors.

I went to Victoria Terminus (VT) Station 4 years ago in Mumbai to reserve a train ticket [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to Chennai in the morning. An old man aged between 55 [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and 60 [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] and dressed in white and gold [STRIKE]seated adjacent[/STRIKE] sat next to me when I was in the reservation hall. He spoke[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] fluent [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] English and in Tamil as a native speaker. Then both of us introduced [STRIKE]our personnel details[/STRIKE] ourselves,[STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] and he told me that he was also from Chennai and that he had come [STRIKE]came[/STRIKE] to reserve a ticket [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for one of his relatives. He said that he [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was a doctor from Appollo Hospital in Chennai and was in [STRIKE]came to[/STRIKE] Mumbai for special surgery. He elaborated his family background [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] explaining that one of his daughters was studying in London and another son in Canada working as a medical [STRIKE]researchist[/STRIKE] researcher. He also [STRIKE]named[/STRIKE] talked about some Bollywood celebrities and [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] their surgery treatment and he chatted about their survival because of his medical expertise.

[STRIKE]I and my colleague[/STRIKE] My colleague and I felt attracted by his medical knowledge [STRIKE] exposures[/STRIKE]. He gave us his business card for any medical help we may require in the future in Chennai for us and our family members. He also assured us that he could provide [STRIKE]to serve medical cases with[/STRIKE] discounts of 15 % through his influence at Appollo Hospital in Chennai. Then he informed us that he [STRIKE]wanted to move[/STRIKE] had to go to the airport as his flight to Chennai was scheduled at 2:00pm [STRIKE]for Chennai[/STRIKE].

We both decided not to overlook [STRIKE]miss[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] that gentleman[STRIKE]’s contact[/STRIKE] for any future medical treatment [STRIKE]in our family members[/STRIKE] since we believe that Appollo Hospital is one of the best medical service[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] providers in Chennai. We [STRIKE]started asking[/STRIKE] also asked him questions [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] about our [STRIKE]suffered childrens due to[/STRIKE] children who suffered from sleep apnea [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in both our families. He replied [STRIKE]that,[/STRIKE] “Dont worry, I will give you one syrup medicine[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], and there's no need to go [STRIKE]for [/STRIKE] to any other doctor [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or special surgery. They can recover within 2 months, and the cost of the medicine would be only INR 500!" He took his mobile at once and called someone to note the address to dispatch the medicines to through some parcel service. Then he collected the amount of INR 500 from both of us and promised that the medicines would be in our homes before we reached [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] Chennai. We [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] did not know his real [STRIKE]face [/STRIKE] identity when we give our money to him.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not made clear at first that there were two of you at the train station.

I went to Victoria Terminus (VT) [STRIKE]station[/STRIKE] 4 years ago in Mumbai to reserve a train ticket for Chennai in the morning. An old man aged between 55 and 60 dressed in white and gold sat next to me when I was at the reservation hall. He spoke fluent English and Tamil.

55 is old?
:-?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We introduced ourselves and mentioned where we were from and such things. Then he told me (us?) that he was also from Chennai and had come to buy a ticket for one of his relatives. He said that he is a doctor from Chennai Appollo Hospital and came to Mumbai to perform special surgery. He talked about his family background and mentioned that he had a daughter studying in London and a son in Canada as a medical researcher. He also named some Hollywood celebrities he had helped with his medical expertise.

My colleague and I were impressed with his medical knowledge.

A hospital is not a medical service, but you can get medical services at a hospital.

(Is this really a true story?)
:roll:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmericanEnglish that individual you encountered would be known as a con man.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
A hospital is not a medical service, but you can get medical services at a hospital.

(Is this really a true story?)
:roll:

Yes. Absolutely true.

His aim was to cheat the people not only through his medical knowledge,he was also planned to squeeze money from waiting list passengers at the railway station. I omitted this part in my post since a paragraph seems to be longer. It is not easy to get a confirmed train tickets in India for long journey on particular day due to over population. People are ready to pay the bribes to the railway officials for their last moment reservation tickets. The cheat used this oppourtunity for his favour.

He assured to provide me a confimed ticket through the special quota. He collected amount INR 300 and assured that he would send me a confirmed e-ticket through email before 5:00pm. The train was supposed to leave at 8:30pm.

When I called him around 5:30pm,he pretended to be another person and spoke in foreign language that I didn't understand. Then I felt that he would not send the medicines too. Eventually,he cheated me in both ways.

Please also correct this post and guide me to write it in a better way.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, since you asked me to, I'll make some corrections/corrections. (That's my "job" here anyhow. ;-))

Yes. Absolutely true.

His aim was to defraud people by pretending to be a doctor, but he [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] also planned to squeeze money from waiting list passengers at the railway station. I omitted this part in my post since a paragraph seems to be longer. It is not easy to get a confirmed train ticket in India for a long journey on a particular day due to over-population. People are ready to pay [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bribes to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] railway officials for [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] last minute reservation tickets. The cheat used this opportunity to his advantage.

He guaranteed me I would get a confined ticket through the special quota. He collected amount INR 300 and assured that he would send me a confirmed e-ticket through email before 5:00pm. The train was supposed to leave at 8:30pm.

When I called him around 5:30pm, he pretended to be another person and spoke in foreign language that I didn't understand. Then I felt that he would not send the medicines either. Eventually, he cheated me [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] both ways.

Well, anybody can be taken by a con man. At least you got a good story out of it.
:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.