• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

"get down from", "get off" and "dismount from"

The other day, I put up a post regarding to "get down from","get off", "dismount from" in the forum. I have tried all my best and effort to distinguish among them but failed. I can't access Google through my network for some reasons.
    I just would like somebody to cleary point out which of the followings could be used after "get down from", "get off", "dismount from" and "alight from":
    A. roof B. tree C. horse D. motorcycle E. bus F. plane G. ship
    1. Get down from:
    2. Get off:
    3. Dismount from:
    4. alight from:
    Another thing I think importantl: A few months ago, I saw the expression, "He dismounted from the helicopter", in an article released on Washingtonpost Website about U.S govenment getting its POWs back from Taliban. But I forget the title. Maybe someone could still find this article on Washingtonpost.)

I am an English teacher in China.
    I am still unfimiliar with these phrases and waiting for more suggestions. Thank you so much again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: "get down from", "get off" and "dismount from"

I would not use dismount from a helicopter. I would use it for a horse. I it's OK for a motorcycle. With internet news sites, things are often published with sloppy language usage. I have no idea whether this is the case or whether the author of the article would normally use that phrase/ It could also be the case that the author felt it applied to the way the person got out of the helicopter on that occasion- maybe they jumped out the second it hit the ground.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "get down from", "get off" and "dismount from"

Don't forget that seeing something used once in a news article (or anywhere else) doesn't mean that usage is common amongst native speakers. Journalists (these days) are fallible.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.