• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Crossposting

I've noticed that some people post the same thing on multiple forums and sites. Sometimes they even post the same thing on two or more sub-forums here!

While I understand that they may be trying to maximize exposure, I really find it dismaying at times to see the same question or piece of text posted again even when a perfectly legitimate and satisfactory answer had been given already!

In my view, that is nothing but spamming, and I would like to know whether moderators here would agree with me on this one.

If so, should such posters be banned and their posts deleted? I am specifically talking about people who double post on the same forum, and those who post the same thing (verbatim) on one forum, after it had already been discussed to death on another.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Crossposting

The moderators here deal with this as well as we can. If someone spots an identical question on another forum, we tend to challenge the poster on it and ask them why they weren't satisfied with the original answer. We also encourage them to tell us upfront if they have already asked the question on another forum.

We also delete duplicate posts when we find them.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    In my view, that is nothing but spamming, and I would like to know whether moderators here would agree with me on this one.
    We do, but we have to operate within certain limits. When we can see this going on, we try to stop it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I may be in a minority, but I see nothing wrong with people posting on several forums. People have a right to seek the best answers they can get.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I can understand why people do it, but I can also understand why it annoys people.