• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Meaning of a word "can"

Hello,
    I am studying Christian Theology and I have a quick question. Please consider the following statement:
    "three o' clock is the hour of mercy. during this hour I will refuse nothing to a soul that makes arequest of me.in this hour you can obtain everything for yourself and for the others for asking"

now how should I take the meaning of the word "can" in the context of above statement? "Can" can have two meaning:

1. To be able to
    2. Expression of possibility (e.g. A coin can land on its back side)

which meaning do you think is appropriate in the given context? Thank you,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Meaning of a word "can"

Hi dominique,
    That's a strange quote. Is it really from Christian Theology?
    'Can' here seems to mean 'will'. If nothing is refused at 3 o'clock (the strangeness I refer to), then you will obtain what you ask for.
    Jesus actually didn't make appointment hours though. He just said, "Ask, believing, and it will be given [to] you" (paraphrase). I'm not sure who he was referring to (obviously someone else.)

PS: You need to start all your sentences with capital letters.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Hi dominique,
    'Can' here seems to mean 'will'. If nothing is refused at 3 o'clock (the strangeness I refer to), then you will obtain what you ask for.
    Jesus actually didn't make appointment hours though. He just said, "Ask, believing, and it will be given [to] you" (paraphrase). I'm not sure who he was referring to (obviously someone else.)

Hello,
    This excerpt is from writings of the conversations (private revelation, I should say) between St. Faustina Kowalska and Jesus of Divine Mercy (I am a Roman Catholic).
    Anyway, I did not know that the word "can" can be the synonym for (or interchangeable with) the word "will".
    Could you give me some other examples where the word "can" can be treated to be having the same meaning as the word "will"?

Thanks for your help,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by dominique1987 View Post
    Hello,
    I am studying Christian Theology and I have a quick question. Please consider the following statement:

"Three o' clock is the hour of mercy. During this hour I will refuse nothing to a soul that makes arequest a request of me. (space required after a full stop) In this hour you can obtain everything for yourself and for the others for asking."

Now how should I take the meaning of the word "can" in the context of above statement? Can "can" have two meanings?

1. To be able to
    2. Expression of possibility (e.g. A coin can land on its back side)

Which meaning do you think is appropriate in the given context? Thank you.
    "Can" and "will" aren't necessarily interchangeable. In the context you gave, it's part of the conditional even though the "if" clause isn't mentioned.

During this hour, if you come and ask me for something, you can have it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Hi dominique,

This would seem to be a contemplation based on the time of Jesus' death, which is where the 3 o'clock comes from.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

In that case, the answer has to come from whoever made this up. If 'can' doesn't mean 'will', then the idea is pointless. As long as something is possible, you can ask any god (or non-god) for it and it can happen, because it can happen if it's possible.
    If you ask from something impossible, the idea is just as pointless, because it can't happen.
    Maybe it means that it might happen, but that's just as trivial, since it might happen if you ask at 4 o'clock. It's meaningless. Perhaps it means that there's a greater probability of it happening if you ask at 3 o'clock.
    But this is logic, not theology, so I could be out of my depth here.
    Last edited by Raymott; 06-Mar-2015 at 11:10.