• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Look inward

Can anybody explain to me what the author means in the bold text?

"You say I am full of sorrows. You say I am racked with woe; that I gnash with anguish. Well, you are a mere child in intellect. You use words without realization of meaning like those minds in what Leibnitz calls 'symbolical consciousness.' But suppose it were so--"

"It is so."

"You know nothing."

"I see you twist and grind. Your eyes are very pale. I thought they were hazel. They are of the faint bluishness of phosphorus shimmerings seen in darkness."

"That proves nothing."

"But the 'white' of the sclerotic is dyed to yellow. And you look inward. Why do you look so palely inward, so woe-worn, upon your soul? Why can you speak of nothing but the sepulchre, and its rottenness? Your eyes seem to me wan with centuries of vigil, with mysteries and millenniums of pain."

"Pain! but you know so little of it! you are wind and words! of its philosophy and rationale nothing!"

M.P.Shiel, Xélucha, 1896

Last edited by emsr2d2; 02-Mar-2015 at 10:36. Reason: Sorted out formatting of quote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Look inward

If you look inward, you are contemplating yourself, your personality, your actions, your psyche. You are thinking hard about yourself and your life. It's a type of self-analysis.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.