Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #1

    Buchan

    Hi, friends. I have two questions.
    1. What does the author refer to by mentioning "Buchan"? Google points out to James Buchan, a Scottish novelist and historian, but then why is it written in quotation marks? Here is the sentence: "Buchan" I burned. I read no "Night Thoughts" — no fustian about church-yards — no bugaboo tales — such as this."
    2. Could it be inferred from the punctuation of the second sentence that the part between dashes is about "Night Thoughts"?
    (http://poestories.com/read/premature)
    Last edited by Mher; 03-Mar-2015 at 08:00.
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

  1. Grumpy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 972
    #2

    Re: Buchan

    If you quote from a published source, then you should name the source. It can help respondents to know the context.

    1. I suspect that it is John (rather than James) Buchan, whose book or books the author burned. That is why "Buchan" is in quotation marks: to indicate that it was the written material and not the individual who was burned.

    2. Yes. The bit about "bugaboo tales" also refers to "Night Thoughts".
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #3

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    If you quote from a published source, then you should name the source. It can help respondents to know the context.

    1. I suspect that it is John (rather than James) Buchan, whose book or books the author burned. That is why "Buchan" is in quotation marks: to indicate that it was the written material and not the individual who was burned.

    2. Yes. The bit about "bugaboo tales" also refers to "Night Thoughts".
    Yes, you are right. I have named the source so many times that it always seems to me that I have already done it.
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #4

    Re: Buchan

    I don't think it can be John Buchan, who was born after Poe died. However, it might be William Buchan, who wrote a famous medical book that would fit the context of getting rid of medical books:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...28physician%29

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #5

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I don't think it can be John Buchan, who was born after Poe died. However, it might be William Buchan, who wrote a famous medical book that would fit the context of getting rid of medical books:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...28physician%29
    You are god damn right. John Buchan was born 26 years after Poe's death and, hence, could not be mentioned in the story. Thank you, Tdol, for your attentiveness.
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

  2. Grumpy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 972
    #6

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Mher View Post
    Yes, you are right. I have named the source so many times that it always seems to me that I have already done it.
    If I'd known it was by Poe, I would also have known it couldn't be John Buchan (he said in self-justification): hence the importance of naming sources (he said sulkily).
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #7

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    If I'd known it was by Poe, I would also have known it couldn't be John Buchan (he said in self-justification): hence the importance of naming sources (he said sulkily).
    Sorry, my friend. I take the blame on me.
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #8

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    If I'd known it was by Poe, I would also have known it couldn't be John Buchan (he said in self-justification): hence the importance of naming sources (he said sulkily).
    I was only able to namedrop William Buchan after asking my good friend Mr Google who might be in the frame for Buchan+medical. I guessed from earlier threads from Mher that it was Poe.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #9

    Re: Buchan

    And I did have to check John Buchan's date of birth, though I enjoyed reading one of his books last year.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #10

    Re: Buchan

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    And I did have to check John Buchan's date of birth, though I enjoyed reading one of his books last year.
    Dear friends, could you tell how 'Buchan' is pronounced? Is it 'bukun'?
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •