Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi!

My name is Tereza Čechová and I am a student of high school in Prague in The Czech Republic. Could you please have a look at my essay and tell me of eventual grammar errors and similar defections?

Thank you!

The first essay
or
the fleeing to the tender night

The book I have chosen to write the first of my essays about is called „Útěk do Budína“ (there
are sadly no English translations whatsoever) and was written by a very significant czech writer of pre-WWII era – Vladislav Vančura. Being published a year after its author’s most famous novel „Marketa Lazarová“, it’s unfortunately overshadowed and therefore not very well-known and appreciated.

Vančura, originally a doctor, was born in Háj ve Slezsku as a rather poor village boy. His love for nature, from time to time even a bit coldblooded, was later reflected many of his books. It was apparent that he had gained it as a very small child.

Unlike his poetic cousin Jiří Mahen’s, his life didn’t end by his own free will. Vladislav Vančura was retained by the Nazi party in May 1942 and later, on 1[SUP]st[/SUP] June 1942, executed in a very infamous place – Kobylisy Shooting Range. By his early death (he would have celebrated 51[SUP]st[/SUP] birthday mere three weeks after his brutal scaffold), the Czech literature suffered a great loss indeed.

Sentence „The simpler story, the deeper experience“ often seems to be an unwritten motto of Vančura’s. This book in particular is a love story of two young people – a Slovak man Tomáš and a Czech woman Jana. Their love, somewhat a foolish and hotheaded one, as if were symbolized by their iconic, sudden flight beyond the borders of Czechoslovakia. But even in Hungary, all their problems don’t seem to vanish, but only to grow both in number and solemnity.

After their marriage in Budín, both young lovers move to farm that belongs to Tomáš’s father, Štěpán. Their affinity still keeps getting more and more scratches. Jana decides to move back to Prague to finish her studies. Tomáš, fairly unhappy, commits a suicide and Jana begins to create a new relationship, now with Tomáš‘s father.

There ought to be told more of the half-hidden topic that the book depicts - of the relationship between Czechs and Slovaks. The mentalities of these two nations, both slavonic and therefore similar, and yet quite not the same, are definitely very well portrayed. At the first glance, they seem to be perfectly balanced, but as we go deeper and deeper, there are more and more discords. Those discords, small as they may be, can still leed to an ultimately grievous end of all.

Even in these days, more than twenty-two years after the split of the Czechoslovakia, there seem to be injustices between them, often only half-spoken. It may be seen in sports and other, in the humble opinion of many people, rather marginal affairs. Enviousness has spread like a vicious disease, not to mention that we tend to mercilessly mock each other about things like the amount of thieves and immigrants in our two lands. A sad fate for a country once so sophisticated, as the Czechoslovakia were. We may try to hide everything by calling the second country a „brother“, but our relationship seems to be perfect only from a very distant view.

But if I could at last relate the matter to myself, I’d say that to me, whole story is a great lesson in the first place - a similar one to author’s personal favourite „Rozmarné léto“ (1926, translated to English as a „Summer of Caprice“) with a different aftertaste though, which is partly because of Tomáš and Jana story’s bitter end.
Both books taught me to overthink my actions in acute situations, but „Útěk do Budína“ taught me even some things that „The Summer of Caprice“ couldn’t - to appreciate my parents as well as to try to be more empathic and to try to think even beyond the expressions of certain people in my life.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My name is Tereza Čechová and I am a high school student in Prague in The Czech Republic. Could you please have a look at my essay and correct any errors?

Is this somebody's homework?

Status
Not open for further replies.