Interested in Language
I am working on a IT company. The daily job is writing code. During the job performance review, my boss wanted me to improve my English ability. My native language is Chinese.
I know it is a big challenge for me. At home I speak Chinese. I have masters degree in US but I came to this country too late comparing to other younger guys. My boss think that my writing is good but verbal ability. There is no too much opportunity in the team to practice English. I am in a small team, the others are quite busy on the coding. To be honest, these guys speak too fast and use advanced English so I am a little retard to follow them. Our company may provide me the English course training opportunity.
But I don't think it is enough, I want to locate other resources as well. There are some youtube videos but overwhelming information makes me faint.
One simple thing you could do is watch English television shows. It greatly helped a friend of mine who was trying to improve his English. He was a native French speaker.
1. Watch movies and shows in English
2. Read books ONLY in English
3. Use different chats and messengers to meet new friends who speak English and talk English with them
4. Try to write some short stories or essays in English to practice your language
Good luck! :)
Effective verbal communication is very important in every field of life.
1. Reading newspaper, watching English movies
2. Make some mental notes first.
3. Practice in the mirror
4. Read a lot.
5. Speaking in Informal Settings
6. Practice open/relaxed body language
7. Speaking in Public/Formal Settings
Last edited by Tdol; 26-Mar-2015 at 10:46.
It takes years to master spoken English. The fact that you're taking steps to do it is a good sign. Lessons are always good. So is spending lots of time with English speakers and asking them questions about pronunciation.
Do you have Chinese friends who speak good English? You might ask them to help.
I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.