Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hi, dear English-speaking friends. Could you express the meaning of "too entirely horrible" in a different way? Could I rewrite it as "extremely or completely horrible"? Are they the same? The sentence is as follows:

"There are certain themes of which the interest is all-absorbing, but which are too entirely horrible for the
purposes of legitimate fiction." (http://poestories.com/read/premature)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could say too horrible or too utterly horrible.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
I see two concepts in this context.

The first is that the 'horrible' is 'too entirely'.

The second is that something before is also entirely horrible and the sentence is just saying that this is also entirely horrible.

But I would go with the first concept since there is no comma after the 'too'. I'm not going to throw the second concept away though, it's still possible.

"There are certain themes of which the interest is all-absorbing, but which are extremely horrible for the purposes of legitimate fiction."

"There are certain themes of which the interest is all-absorbing, but which are completely horrible for the purposes of legitimate fiction."

It would be the same meaning for the first concept.

"There are certain themes of which the interest is all-absorbing; but which are too, extremely horrible for the purposes of legitimate fiction."
"There are certain themes of which the interest is all-absorbing; but which are too, completely horrible for the purposes of legitimate fiction."

It would be different compared to the second concept.

***Not a teacher***

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to say it differently, you can't keep the word horrible. There are plenty of other words you can use - infamous, odious, disgusting, foul, terrible, dispicable....

Status
Not open for further replies.