Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I want to explain my problem by the following sentence.

"Among those scientists recently exploring 'terra cognita' were psychologists from the State University of New York at Stony Brook."

1) In above sentence, what is the subject of the auxiliary verb "were"? I think, subject of auxiliary verb is 'there' and it has been omitted in this sentence. Am I right?

2) If I wish to place 'that/who' before the word 'exploring' in the above sentence, will it be legal? And if I do this, the form of 'exploring' will be 'explore'. Am I right?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
I want to explain my problem by the following sentence.

"Among those scientists recently exploring 'terra cognita' were psychologists from the State University of New York at Stony Brook."

1) In above sentence, what is the subject of the auxiliary verb "were"? I think, subject of auxiliary verb is 'there' and it has been omitted in this sentence. Am I right?

2) If I wish to place 'that/who' before the word 'exploring' in the above sentence, will it be legal? And if I do this, the form of 'exploring' will be 'explore'. Am I right?

1. The word 'there' isn't omitted since the sentence makes absolute sense. The sentence says that there's a group of scientists and among this group of scientists, there are also psychologists. Using 'there' wouldn't make sense. "There were psychologists among those scientists that recently explored 'terra cognita'. That would be fine. But adding the word 'there' before 'were' would make sense.

For example, among a group of monkeys were mischievous baby monkeys. In a group of monkeys, there were mischievous baby monkeys.

2. No, it would be 'explored' because it already happened recently. Anything is legal if the intention of the sentence isn't altered. But adding that/who wouldn't make sense if you added 'there' before 'were'. Or you could say "Among those scientists who were recently exploring 'terra cognita'....Stony Brook."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Were' is the main verb in that sentence and 'psychologists' is the subject.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
2) If I wish to place 'that/who' before the word 'exploring' in the above sentence, will it be legal?

I am not a teacher.

Well, you probably wouldn't get arrested for it, but the result would not be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.