Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there
Please help with the meaning of: "the whole mind of god", what does it mean? without any context

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without any context, it doesn't really mean anything. All you can do is assume the literal meaning based on each individual word. Why don't you have any context?

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for reply.
actually there are some context, but i think it generally possess some meaning,
"Philo declared the Word or Logos to be the first-born Son of God, the prototypal man in whose image all other men are created. Again, he is the idea, or ideas, the whole mind of God giving out of himself in creation."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, understand it literally.

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please explain more, somehow I can't understand it. I think this is due to cultural deference.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no cultural deference. There might be some cultural difference.

Do you understand each individual word?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Everything that God knows and thinks is the "mind of God."

Jesus, as the Second Person in the Trinity, is entirely God. He is the entire mind of God, all that God is, entering into the world that He created. The infinite in a finite human body.

This is the essential mystery of the Christian faith; that the infinite becomes incarnate and dwells among us. Going so far as to sacrifice Himself in order to pay the infinite debt created by sin. No one else is infinite, so no sacrifice of humanity could pay the debt. Only God Himself, joining together with humanity in the Second Person could make the infinite sacrifice and repair the rift between man and God.

This is not language, but Christian thought. That's probably enough of an answer (if not too much) for this forum.

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is not language, but Christian thought. That's probably enough of an answer (if not too much) for this forum.

This is language + culture
You see i never find your word in any dictionary. You fill me with you thought and that is why people make and come to forum. this is my idea maybe, people have their idea to coming and making forum. again my friend thank you.

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
There's no cultural deference. There might be some cultural difference.

Do you understand each individual word?
I understand each individual word. But I want to ask something else, do you correct me? I mean isn't my sentence correct or you think there is no cultural deference but some tiny thing between me and you, my region and you region.
My propose here is to become sure that i understand exactly the way you use the term "culture".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She was correcting your misspelling of "difference" as "deference".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand each individual word. But I want to ask something else ​- [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] were you correcting me? I mean isn't my sentence correct or do you think there is no cultural [STRIKE]deference[/STRIKE] difference but some tiny thing between me and you, my region and your region?
My [STRIKE]propose[/STRIKE] purpose here is to become sure that I understand exactly the way you use the term "culture".

As MikeNewYork said, the reason for my correction is that you used the word "deference" which is completely incorrect. You should have used "difference". You did it again in this post. You also used "propose" instead of "purpose". See my corrections above in red.

Also, I did not use the word "culture". I said there might be some "cultural differences". What I meant was that your post appeared to have some basis in Christianity. If you hail from a non-Christian culture and I hail from a Christian culture, then there would probably be a difference in how we interpret that sentence. As it turned out, I was as much in the dark as you were. I assumed it could be interpreted literally but then SoothingDave gave you an in-depth and thorough explanation of the phrase "the whole mind of God". That was as educational to me as it was to you. I come from a Christian country (or at least the official national religion is Church of England, which is Christian) but I am an atheist/humanist, so I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of Christianity and its terminology. On that basis, there is a cultural difference between me and SoothingDave - he knows about Christianity and I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.