• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

speech

Hi Teachers,

I know I'm not supposed to ask you to correct every grammar mistake that I make but I really want this speech to not have embarrassing grammar errors. I really hope that you could help me spot errors and correct them if there are any. Or suggest other wordings to say a particular sentence.

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, the best man of the most good looking guy today.
    The couple and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from first year through fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group mates when it comes to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly as partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
    After our college years, we went our separate lives. We got busy with our own lives but we still manage to get in touch with each other.
    When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy and honored when this couple told me that would be the best man.
    And now, I’m more than honored to be here to witness one of the most unforgettable moments in their lives.
    To John, I just wanna say that you made the best decision to marry Rose. Rose is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and good hearted person who deserves a great husband.
    With that, could I ask everyone to raise your glasses and join me in toasting Rose and John. Cheers!

Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by Ferds; 11-Mar-2015 at 05:59. Reason: spotted a missing word

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: speech

Quote Originally Posted by +Technist Warp- View Post
    The John, Rose, and I started our friendship...
    I think 'The' should be omitted, but I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Yep! I'm not a teacher as well! Good job spotting it!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

The teachers here may disagree with the use of multiple exclamation marks in your signature.

Not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Have you heard of a question mark - exclamation mark sandwich?!? How about an exclamation mark - question mark sandwich!?! How about exclamations that mean of total importance!!!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Not a Teacher.

I think it is a pretty good rewrite of the speech, there are just a few points I would suggest altering.

The John, Rose, and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses (??Confusing??) and thatís when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to

I think that in the phrase " to school projects and theses" "these" is used as the plural of thesis.

Matthew Wai is correct the should be no The at the start of the phrase "The John, Rose and I started our friendship"
    It could be just "John, Rose and I started our friendship"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There was nothing wrong with saying "the couple and I," as it originally did.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

"Hi Teachers,

I know I'm not supposed to ask you to correct every grammar mistake that I make but I really want this speech to not have embarrassing grammar errors. I really hope that you could help me spot errors and correct them if there are any. Or suggest other wordings to say a particular sentence.

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, the best man of the most good looking guy (Consider Revising) today.
    [John, Rose,/The happy couple] and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
    After our college years, we went into our separate lives. We got busy with our own lives but we still managed to get in touch with each other.
    When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy and honored when this couple told me that would be the best man (Consider Revising).
    And now, I’m more than honored to be here to witness one of the most unforgettable moments in their lives.
    To John, I just wanna say that you made the best decision to marry Rose. Rose is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and good hearted person who deserves a great husband.
    With that, could I ask everyone to raise your glasses and join me in toasting Rose and John. Cheers!

Thanks so much in advance."

Revised...
    Last edited by +Technist Warp-; 11-Mar-2015 at 14:46. Reason: Suggestions from others

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    There was nothing wrong with saying "the couple and I," as it originally did.
    Actually, when I read it out to myself, the antecedent had no predefined characters. But of course, in a wedding, everybody will know who the groom and bride are. It's just that in Brian's speech, he hasn't mentioned the groom and bride yet and he just directly said couple. Well, that's actually Brian's choice whether he wants to use John, Rose, and I or just 'the couple and I'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by +Technist Warp- View Post
    wanna
    Such an abbreviation is unacceptable on this forum.
    I doubt the correctness of putting exclamation marks around phrases in your signature, but I am not a teacher.
    Last edited by Matthew Wai; 11-Mar-2015 at 14:42.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast