Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi Teachers,

I know I'm not supposed to ask you to correct every grammar mistake that I make but I really want this speech to not have embarrassing grammar errors. I really hope that you could help me spot errors and correct them if there are any. Or suggest other wordings to say a particular sentence.

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, the best man of the most good looking guy today.
The couple and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from first year through fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group mates when it comes to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly as partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
After our college years, we went our separate lives. We got busy with our own lives but we still manage to get in touch with each other.
When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy and honored when this couple told me that would be the best man.
And now, I’m more than honored to be here to witness one of the most unforgettable moments in their lives.
To John, I just wanna say that you made the best decision to marry Rose. Rose is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and good hearted person who deserves a great husband.
With that, could I ask everyone to raise your glasses and join me in toasting Rose and John. Cheers!

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Yep! I'm not a teacher as well! Good job spotting it!

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The teachers here may disagree with the use of multiple exclamation marks in your signature.

Not a teacher.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Have you heard of a question mark - exclamation mark sandwich?!? How about an exclamation mark - question mark sandwich!?! How about exclamations that mean of total importance!!!!!:roll::cool:

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not a Teacher.

I think it is a pretty good rewrite of the speech, there are just a few points I would suggest altering.

The John, Rose, and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses (??Confusing??) and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to

I think that in the phrase " to school projects and theses" "these" is used as the plural of thesis.

Matthew Wai is correct the should be no The at the start of the phrase "The John, Rose and I started our friendship"
It could be just "John, Rose and I started our friendship"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was nothing wrong with saying "the couple and I," as it originally did.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
"Hi Teachers,

I know I'm not supposed to ask you to correct every grammar mistake that I make but I really want this speech to not have embarrassing grammar errors. I really hope that you could help me spot errors and correct them if there are any. Or suggest other wordings to say a particular sentence.

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, the best man of the most good looking guy (Consider Revising) today.
[John, Rose,/The happy couple] and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
After our college years, we went into our separate lives. We got busy with our own lives but we still managed to get in touch with each other.
When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy and honored when this couple told me that would be the best man (Consider Revising).
And now, I’m more than honored to be here to witness one of the most unforgettable moments in their lives.
To John, I just wanna say that you made the best decision to marry Rose. Rose is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and good hearted person who deserves a great husband.
With that, could I ask everyone to raise your glasses and join me in toasting Rose and John. Cheers!

Thanks so much in advance."

Revised...

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
There was nothing wrong with saying "the couple and I," as it originally did.

Actually, when I read it out to myself, the antecedent had no predefined characters. But of course, in a wedding, everybody will know who the groom and bride are. It's just that in Brian's speech, he hasn't mentioned the groom and bride yet and he just directly said couple. Well, that's actually Brian's choice whether he wants to use John, Rose, and I or just 'the couple and I'.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Such an abbreviation is unacceptable on this forum.
I doubt the correctness of putting exclamation marks around phrases in your signature, but I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, when I read it out to myself, the antecedent had no predefined characters. But of course, in a wedding, everybody will know who the groom and bride are. It's just that in Brian's speech, he hasn't mentioned the groom and bride yet and he just directly said couple. Well, that's actually Brian's choice whether he wants to use John, Rose, and I or just 'the couple and I'.

Yes, context makes it clear who "the couple" is.

Probably "The happy couple" is more in keeping with the tone of a wedding day speech.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Excuse me? "Speech"? I waived it aside because in the context, I determined that Brian would be speaking and his speed would be fast enough so that it doesn't make that much of a difference if 'want to' was used instead of 'wanna'.

Literally, 'wanna' is never acceptable in essays as it isn't formal language used in formal essays, letters, or literature. A speech is entirely different.

D'ya get it? X-D

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Yes, context makes it clear who "the couple" is.

Probably "The happy couple" is more in keeping with the tone of a wedding day speech.

As I said, it is for Brian to decide.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Excuse me? "Speech"? I waived it aside because in the context, I determined that Brian would be speaking and his speed would be fast enough so that it doesn't make that much of a difference if 'want to' was used instead of 'wanna'.

Literally, 'wanna' is never acceptable in essays as it isn't formal language used in formal essays, letters, or literature. A speech is entirely different.

D'ya get it? X-D

We have rules here. If you don't follow them, you will find yourself asked to leave. We want to present examples of proper English use, not slang or text-speak. It doesn't matter if it's a speech or not.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Got it.

I just want to ask Brian how come he ended up with 'wanna' and not 'want to'?

Ferds

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
"Hi Teachers,

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, the best man of the most good looking guy (Consider Revising) today.
[John, Rose,/The happy couple] and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
After our college years, we went into our separate lives. We got busy with our own lives but we still managed to get in touch with each other.
When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy and honored when this couple told me that would be the best man (Consider Revising).

Thanks so much in advance."

Revised...

What do you think about this revision? And could someone tell me if this is a good speech. :)

Hi everyone, and for those who don’t know me, I’m Brian, John's best man.
John, Rose, and I started our friendship when we were in college. They were my classmates from the first year to the fourth year since we were under a block section. They were always my group when it came to school projects and theses and that’s when we got to know each other better. During college years, I witnessed how this couple started as classmates and suddenly turned to partners. I witnessed some ups and downs in their relationship and also how they worked hard to establish a good partnership.
When I heard about them planning to get married I was really happy but not really shocked because ever since John and Rose met, I've never seen one without the other.

John, I just wanna say that you made the best decision to marry Rose. Rose is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and good hearted person who deserves a great husband.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
So are you going to keep the 'wanna' when you say 'John, I just wanna...' or do you plan to convert to the original 'want to'?

No offense, just a suggestion.

Question: How come you chose 'wanna' and not 'want to' in the first place?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So why did you use d'ya?

MikeNewYork