Is the sound of 'oo' in the word 'shoot' the same as that of 'u' in the word 'cute'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ray, do you have any authoritative opinion that they don't? I only need my ears to decide when two words rhyme.
What a strange question. Of course I have authoritative definitions of rhyme that show that 'oot' and yoot' rhyme.
"A full rhyme is the identity of the last stressed vowel and all the following sounds of two or more words or phrases"
Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. Cuddon, Penguin.
The vowel is not the only thing that determines a rhyme. 'Cute' and 'cube' don't rhyme because a rhyme does not depend just on the vowel. I can find other similar definitions, but I think the definition of a proper rhyme is too well-known to bother looking them up. But there are different degrees of rhyme. If ears are all that's necessary, I can say that 'cute' and shoot' rhyme too, because I also have ears. But what is also needed for a correct answer is a definition of rhyme.

Now that I've answered your request for authority, why don't you answer mine?

Besides, I don't think this is answering the OP's question. He's probably given up in disgust by now, or gone to another site where they've tried to tackle his question. If he's actually asking whether 'cute' is pronounced 'kyoot' or 'koot', which is possible, then ems and I have answered him. They're not.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't remember what your question was, but it seems that we now agree that the two vowel sounds are the same. That was the OP's original question.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That was not the OP"s question. That is the question that you chose to answer. I have never heard "cute" pronounced as "koot" and I doubt that the OP meant that.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you all for your answers to my question.

I know the pronunciations of 'shoot' and 'cute' are /ʃuːt/ and /kjuːt/, respectively, and I myself have a negative answer to the question. I wonder if there are native English speakers who have an affirmative answer and why.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And now you know!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
It is. Fuller stop. :lol:

Look, cute has 'ute' which pronounces a long, immediate sound 'u' while shoot has 'oot' and pronounces a long, held 'u'.

It pretty much depends on the accent of the speaker and his/her point of view. A conclusion would come sooner or later so: it depends on the point of view and accent of the character and the way he/she thinks. Some people would think cute has the same 'u' sound as the 'oo' it shoot but some people won't.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
As I said so before, cute and shoot rhyme but the sounds 'oo' and 'u' in 'shoot' and 'cute' aren't the same. The OP asks whether the 'oo' and the 'u' in 'shoot' and 'cute' sound the same. Maybe we should inquire someone with English ears.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Do you mean "there"?
I suppose it's easy to get mixed up with homophones. ;-)

As I said in another thread, homophones are tricky and prior to my signature, expect the unexpected.;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As far as I am concerned, having the same sound is what "rhyme" means. You may have a different definition, and I'll leave you to that,

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
I thought your definition of rhyme was having the same ending sound of a word such as window and hoe.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does that have to do with "few" and "Jew"? Earlier you tried to make "mime" and "mine" a rhyme. I don't think you get this.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
Seriously!?! Are we still talking about this? Maybe you should just start a new thread, I keep thinking about rhymes and this thread is called 'Is the sound...'

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Recheck the rhymezone site. You might learn something.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
I will. I just thought that mine and mime was partial rhyming since they do sound slightly similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.