English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is the sound of 'oo' in the word 'shoot' the same as that of 'u' in the word 'cut

Quote Originally Posted by +Technist Warp- View Post
    The answer is no, it isn't, full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    It is. Fuller stop.
    I wish we found this many full stops in lots of other posts on this forum!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Is the sound of 'oo' in the word 'shoot' the same as that of 'u' in the word 'cut

Ray, do you have any authoritative opinion that they don't? I only need my ears to decide when two words rhyme.
    What a strange question. Of course I have authoritative definitions of rhyme that show that 'oot' and yoot' rhyme.
    "A full rhyme is the identity of the last stressed vowel and all the following sounds of two or more words or phrases"
    Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. Cuddon, Penguin.
    The vowel is not the only thing that determines a rhyme. 'Cute' and 'cube' don't rhyme because a rhyme does not depend just on the vowel. I can find other similar definitions, but I think the definition of a proper rhyme is too well-known to bother looking them up. But there are different degrees of rhyme. If ears are all that's necessary, I can say that 'cute' and shoot' rhyme too, because I also have ears. But what is also needed for a correct answer is a definition of rhyme.

Now that I've answered your request for authority, why don't you answer mine?

Besides, I don't think this is answering the OP's question. He's probably given up in disgust by now, or gone to another site where they've tried to tackle his question. If he's actually asking whether 'cute' is pronounced 'kyoot' or 'koot', which is possible, then ems and I have answered him. They're not.
    Last edited by Raymott; 12-Mar-2015 at 04:13.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't remember what your question was, but it seems that we now agree that the two vowel sounds are the same. That was the OP's original question.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

That was not the OP"s question. That is the question that you chose to answer. I have never heard "cute" pronounced as "koot" and I doubt that the OP meant that.

5. Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thank you all for your answers to my question.

I know the pronunciations of 'shoot' and 'cute' are /ʃuːt/and /kjuːt/, respectively, and I myself have a negative answer to the question. I wonder if there are native English speakers who have an affirmative answer and why.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

And now you know!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

It is. Fuller stop.
    Look, cute has 'ute' which pronounces a long, immediate sound 'u' while shoot has 'oot' and pronounces a long, held 'u'.

It pretty much depends on the accent of the speaker and his/her point of view. A conclusion would come sooner or later so: it depends on the point of view and accent of the character and the way he/she thinks. Some people would think cute has the same 'u' sound as the 'oo' it shoot but some people won't.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Well, I agree that accents will make a difference. And so will hearing. Your Chinese ears will not necessarily agree with my my American ears. The link to the website below (about rhyming) says that "cute" and "shoot" rhyme. That is good enough for me.

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi...&org2=l&org3=y

9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

As I said so before, cute and shoot rhyme but the sounds 'oo' and 'u' in 'shoot' and 'cute' aren't the same. The OP asks whether the 'oo' and the 'u' in 'shoot' and 'cute' sound the same. Maybe we should inquire someone with English ears.

10. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Do you mean "there"?
    I suppose it's easy to get mixed up with homophones.
    As I said in another thread, homophones are tricky and prior to my signature, expect the unexpected.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last