• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Can you afford your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped

Hello. It's me again

Can you afford your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped?

Does this sentence mean:

a) Can you afford for your big machinery to wait for oversize cargo which/that is to be transshipped?

or

b) Are you able to allow your big machinery to wait for oversize cargo which/that is to be transshipped?

Do you think any of me above-mentioned versions is acceptable?

Thank you.

[PDF]Tenth Edition - Sort & Store

www.sort-and-store.com/media/pdf/press-pti10.pdf

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Can you afford your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped

Its meaning is not clear. It's a poor sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can you afford your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped

"Transshipped" is not a word. The cargo will either be shipped or transported.

And although the question in the initial post is extremely vague, I'm guessing that someone is trying to convince the shipper of a large piece of machinery to use some sort of priority freight service, rather than using a less expensive bulk cargo method.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

trans新hip

(trăns-shĭp′) also tran新hip (trăn-shĭp′)tr. & intr.v. trans新hipped, trans新hip搆ing, trans新hips also tran新hipped or tran新hip搆ing or tran新hips To transfer or be transferred from one conveyance to another for reshipment or reexport.

As is shown above, such a word exists. I would appreciate it if someone would tell me how to understand the sentence in question and what is wrong with my interpretation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Technically, "transship" is a valid word. But it is one that is very specific to a very specific segment of the shipping industry. You did not make that clear in your original question. In fact, your original question is still not quite clear in its meaning; what is the scenario? Is someone wishing to ship a large piece of equipment via a less expensive route (transshipped from ship to truck, for example) and is someone trying to convince them to use a more expensive method (air freight, perhaps?)? In which case the original question sounds like the broker or shipping agent is asking "Can you afford to to let your very big, very expensive piece of machinery take three weeks or more to get to the customer? Wouldn't it be more advisable to pay a higher freight cost for door-to-door shipping in the long run?"

But that's just my very vague interpretation of your question - worded as it is, the meaning is not at all clear.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

There is no context, just a photo with this sentence: Can you afford your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped?

Please see www.sort-and-store.com/media/pdf/press-pti10.pdf

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"No context" is a strange way of describing the pdf file you've posted. It's a four-page article with illustrations.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

The sentence in question is on the last page, on the left. I would be grateful to you if you could tell me, from a grammatical viewpoint, whether or not not my interpretation is wrong. We can change "transhipped" to "shipped".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Read it something like:

"Can you afford [to have] your big machinery waiting for oversize cargo to be transshipped?"

The person must be selling some "better way" that will get your big cargo to its destination and making you money faster.