Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Quoted from BBC learning english.com

“For some people, there is nothing more exciting than expecting a baby. There is the anticipation of what it will look like and what characteristics it will have. And the big question is: will it be a boy or will it be a girl? The sex of the child will decide a number of outcomes - its name, what it wears and what it does.”

Questions:

1. Why use expecting but not expected?
  2. As the baby is person, why the statement use “its and it” but not “his/her and he/she”
  3. What is the meaning of “what it does”? Is that means what the baby will play?

I try to rewrite the above statement in my own words. Please advise what wrong in the statement.

Many people would like to guess the gender of the baby. They would like to guess what he will look and what characteristics he will have. The gender of the child will affect the name of the baby and also what he will wear.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. There is nothing more exciting than something(noun). 'Expecting' is the noun.

2. Using it (a foetus)does away the the assumption of the gender.

3. The things that the baby will do, its behaviour.

Questions:

1. Why use "expecting" but not "expected"?
  2. As the baby is a person, why does the statement use “its and it” but not “his/her and he/she”
  3. What is the meaning of “what it does”? [STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Does that mean[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] what the baby will play?

I tried to rewrite the above statement in my own words. Please advise what is wrong in the statement.

not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.