Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Hi, the phrase: "I agree" phonetically looks like [ aɪ(y)əˈgri ] there are three syllables: 1 2ə 3gri
The third syllable is stressed in the dictionary. Because the first syllable ends with a vowel and the second starts with a vowel I connected them with the (y) glide.

[ aɪ(y)əˈgri ] Although it's always true that any word can be stressed to give it emphasis, there is a default unemphatic accent. I'm not sure if the pronoun "I" needs any stress in a normal context like:

Q: Do you agree with me?
A: I agree.

Should I stress the word "I" or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You don't need to stress it if it's simply a statement of agreement. If you're about to tell the person that although you agree, other people might not, you would probably stress "I".

Q: Do you agree?
A: Well, I ​agree with you but I doubt anyone else will.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
You don't need to stress it if it's simply a statement of agreement. If you're about to tell the person that although you agree, other people might not, you would probably stress "I".

Q: Do you agree?
A: Well, I ​agree with you but I doubt anyone else will.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.