Hi there, to apply for my master's programme Neuroeconomics I have to write a motivation letter. I would appreciate it if anybody could help me...
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing this letter to apply for the Master's program in Neuroeconomics at the University of Maastricht. I am a third-year student in the Psychobiology Bachelorís program at the University of Amsterdam and I would like to enrol in this master's program in order to gain further knowledge and experience toward academic research in this field.
Initially, my interest in cognitive neuroscience started when studying brain and behavior in biology lessons in secondary school. Subsequently, I enrolled the Psychobiology bachelor in Amsterdam. I the first 2 years I have learned a lot about different topics in cognitive neuroscience and gained a lot of knowledge about the scientific research methods and statitics used in this field. During these years I noticed that I became extremely interested in the research field of human-decision making and itís neural background. For that reason I decided to follow courses that would allow me to learn more about decision making and especially how to do good research. I started off with Systems Neuroscience, Computational Cognitive Neuroscience and Signal Analysis which allowed me to approach and solve cognitive issues on a analytical manner and eventually set up my own experiments with Mathlab.
Especially my experiences with setting up my own research-methods with Matlab made me realise how much doing cognitive research excites me. Moreover, at this moment I am doing my internship at the Brain and Cognition group at the University of Amsterdam with Tobias Donner. We are investigating the role of the pupil during perceptual decision making and itís functional effect in learning. Therefore we are using a reinforcement model to predict that perceptual decision-making is driven by such reward signal. Sequentially, during these months I learned a lot about reinforcement learning and it made me realise that decision making is also well studied in fields of interest other than psychology and neuroscience like economics and mathematics.
This understanding drove me to look for a master which allows me to open up my mind and understand other disciplines without giving up the oppertunity to study human decision making and itís experimental research. I am convinced that the Neuroeconomics master at the University of Maastricht gives me this oppertunity. Especially because of my psychological/ neuroscientific background and my experience with experimental design, statistics and programming I would love to use this knowledge in combination with a relevant field of interest that I have not discovered yet. I already can see myself investigating the neurophysical processes underlying human decisions in economic and behavorial experiments. Moreover, I have learned that this programme has a good reputation for reserach training and that the students who have completed this programme have joined excellent research groups. This truly is completely in line with my near ambitions and makes me even more motivated to joint his programme and complete it succesfully.
Beside the hard skills acquired in this academic area, I would like to stress the fact that I am a very proactive and motivated person who looks for new experiences and that I am positive about exceeding your expectations regarding the academic excellence, motivation for research or interpersonal skills.
Thank you for considering my application, and I am looking forward to hear from you in the near future regarding the succes of my application.

Sincerely yours,

Thank u very much..