Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hi, friends. As always, I need your precious help. I do not like the denotative meaning of "august" in the given context. Which is its closest synonym in this sentence. Would you replace it with "impressive"?

"I have mentioned some few of the more prominent and august calamities on record; but, in these, it is the extent,not less than the character of the calamity, which so vividly impresses the fancy." (http://poestories.com/read/premature)

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, noteworthy is a good alternative. But august is fine. It's old-fashioned but not wrong. It looks like it's a Poe quote, and it's poetic, like Poe.

Can you tell us why you want to change it?

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Yes, noteworthy is a good alternative. But august is fine. It's old-fashioned but not wrong. It looks like it's a Poe quote, and it's poetic, like Poe.

Can you tell us why you want to change it?
Yes, it is a Poe quote. I just think that there is nothing "august" or "significant" in the phenomenon of calamity. Calamities result in loss of lives, and I intuitively find it difficult to characterize them as "august." Of course, in the context of what Poe is trying to deliver to the readers it could sound usual, but when I translate that word into Armenian, I can see something weird in the Armenian equivalent of "august calamity."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is a Poe quote. I just think that there is nothing "august" or "significant" in the phenomenon of calamity. Calamities result in loss of lives, and I intuitively find it difficult to characterize them as "august." Of course, in the context of what Poe is trying to deliver to the readers it could sound usual, but when I translate that word into Armenian, I can see something weird in the Armenian equivalent of "august calamity."

As you know, many words don't translate perfectly from one language to another. And language changes, so translating something written over a hundred years ago is tricky. English speakers wouldn't use the word august that way today, but we get the gist. To us, it sounds quaint.

I think you're interpreting it correctly. And yes, you would probably choose different words in Armenian. We would in twenty-first century English!

Status
Not open for further replies.