Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
from http://www.autoenglish.org/tenses/presentcontinuousgoingto.pdf................

BE GOING TO for PERSONAL PLANS e.g I'm going to study Arabic in September
PRESENT CONTINUOUS for plans with OTHER people (arrangements , appointments) e.g I'm seeing an old friend on Wednesday

Is this rule correct?

I know that the "going to" form is used for intentions and the present cont for arrangements but I have just found the above rule.....

Thanks in advance

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, the "rule" is not correct. "I'm going to see an old friend on Wednesday" is fine.

queenbu

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
No, the "rule" is not correct. "I'm going to see an old friend on Wednesday" is fine.

Thank you for your answer. I know that in spoken English both are correct but when you're helping someone with an exercise where they have to choose between the "going to" form and the present continuous, it's not a very helpful answer I'm afraid. :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If an exercise asks a question where both answers are correct, it is the writer of the exercise who is at fault and who is not being helpful. The fact remains that the "rule" you referred to is not a "rule" at all.

queenbu

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
In fact I had never heard of it before....that's why I asked. For me the present continuous is used for arrangements and the "going to" form for intentions.......unfortunately students still have to face those types of exercises :-(

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is this rule correct?

There is a lot of overlap between the different forms used to talk about the future. Think of 'rules' as guides rather than absolute rules to follow. Some of these exercises may show genuine differences, but others may attempt to show the artificial rules that have been synthesised. The existence of an exercise, especially one written by the person who gave out the rule, does not prove the rule. However, this does not mean that people are trying to deceive you.

Also, your result only shows pages with those words; it does not mean that there are this many exercises about this topic

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am astonished that there are people who insist a rule exists that differentiates between future solo plans and future group plans.

Many try to differentiate between self-imposed future plans and externally-imposed plans, or fixed plans, but not "with another person."

Status
Not open for further replies.