• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

antecedent

When "who" is an antecedent, does it need to directly touch the person it's referring to?

I.e. I called Sally, who urged me to move in with her in Texas.

OR

I called Sally, the mother of Selena Gomez, who urged me to move in with her in Texas.

1) In the second case, is the 'who' incorrectly referring back to "Selena Gomez"? If it refers to "Selena Gomez", how to write the second sentence to refer Sally?

2) In the second case, is the "her" incorrectly referring back to "Selena Gomez"? If "her" refers to Selena Gomez, how to write the second sentence to refer Sally?

3) In the second sentence if "who" refers to Sally, how to write this sentence to refer Selena Gomez?

4) In the second sentence if "her" refers to Sally, how to write this sentence to refer Selena Gomez?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: antecedent

The general rule is that a pronoun refers to its most direct possible antecedent. A "her" would not refer back to a man, for example.

I called Sally, the mother of Selena Gomez, who urged me to move in with her in Texas.
    This is, at best, ambiguous. Other context may make it understandable, but without any context it is ambiguous.

1. The "who" would refer to Selena here. I called Selena Gomez's mother Sally, who urged me to move in with her.
    2. The "her" would also refer to Selena, absent any other context. You need to either use the names instead of pronouns, or break it into separate sentences to be absolutely clear.

I called Sally, who urged me to move in with her. Sally is the mother of Selena Gomez.