Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi friends,

Is the following sentence correct grammatically. If it is not , kindly suggest ways to make it clearer.

*As shown in fig .10, the turbine almost stalls after flow coefficient of 0.25.

*According to ref[4], another reason of high entropy generation is due to a region of reversed flow at near blade hub in the suction surface.

Note that there is hob blade in suction surface of the blade.

Thanks for your help.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please state the source of your quoted text and name the author to satisfy copyright requirements.

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ali, this is an English forum, not an engineering forum.

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi my dear friends,

please Forgive me for my questions, but some sentences are not quite technical. I think that you can guide me, However, I did not have bad intentions.

Is location of (almost) in the following sentence correct?

the turbine almost stalls after flow coefficient of 0.25.

thanks for your help.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I deem it correct to put 'almost' before the verb it modifies.
Does your sentence mean 'The turbine almost stalls after the flow coefficient reaches 0.25'?

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
*According to ref[4], another reason for high entropy generation is [STRIKE]due to[/STRIKE] a region of reversed flow [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] near the blade hub in the suction surface.
We don't say "The reason is due to ..." We do say, "The reason is ..."
"The flood was due to heavy rainfall." Yes
"The reason for the flood was heavy rainfall." Yes
"The reason for the flood was due to heavy rainfall". No

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Almost stalls" seems like a strange concept to me. Wouldn't it be more useful to say at what flow coefficient the turbine actually stalls?

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Almost stalls" seems like a strange concept to me. Wouldn't it be more useful to say at what flow coefficient the turbine actually stalls?

hi, thanks for all of friends.

Sorry, my English language is not very interesting.:)

in fact, When the flow coefficient is greater than 0.25, turbine efficiency decrease. this Event say (turbine stall).

but, here, "stall" is a verb,

Now, I want to say that "the turbine almost stalls after flow coefficient of 0.25."

Is the up sentence correct grammatically....If it is not , kindly suggest ways to make it clearer!!!

thans for your help,,

ali

best

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'The turbine will almost stall when the flow coefficient exceeds 0.25.'

Not a teacher.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As shown in Fig. 6, the turbine will stall when the flow coefficient exceeds 0.22.

Calculations are performed at different values of the flow coefficient until stall conditions at ϕ = 0.22. The stall point is determined by a decrease in the turbine torque coefficient [8]. Fig. 6 shows comparisons between experimental and numerical results of the biplane Wells turbine.

flow coefficient.jpg

This is clearly shown when graphed against the torque coefficient and efficiency.

--lotus

Attachments

• flow coefficient.jpg
    flow coefficient.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi friends,

I have five questions.

General question:Is the following sentences correct grammatically?....If it is not , kindly suggest ways to make it clearer.

question1:Is position of colored red word correct"considering"?.........And also, what word can be replaced with this word?

Entropy generation analysis of Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh and considering the tip gap region.

question2:what verb can be replaced with "result"?

In other word, improving these factors can result in a considerable improvement in the Wells turbine performance near stall point.

question3:according to following figure and sentences, is it correct to use the verb "located"?

14276695351.jpg

According to the obtained results, the minimum entropy generation is located at the maximum efficiency of the first law of thermodynamics for different values of flow coefficient.

question4:according following Text, how can to change colored red sentences(Thus, Any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem in hand must take into account these factors. )? ......What does "in hand" mean?

The factors of entropy generation could be due to a region of reversed flow in suction surface, interaction between wake of upstream blade and boundary layer on the suction surface of the blade, interaction between boundary layers of casing the blade tip, boundary layer separation, interaction between boundary layers of the hub and the blades. These factors substantially affect total pressure drop, the turbine torque and the pressure / velocity distribution at high values of the flow coefficient. All of these factors are detected by entropy generation rate contours, which record a substantial increase of the viscous component. Thus, Any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem in hand must take into account these factors.

thanks for your answers.

best,

Ali

Last edited:

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) Entropy generation analysis of Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh while taking into consideration the tip gap region.

2) In other words, improving these factors can result in a considerable improvement in the Wells turbine performance near the stall point.
(Result is a good verb. Yield is also a good verb.)
In other words, improving these factors can yield considerable improvement in the Wells turbine performance near the stall point.

3) According to the obtained results, the minimum entropy generation coincides with the maximum efficiency of the first law of thermodynamics for different values of flow coefficient. (They are both at their minima, maxima or extrema: first derivative zero point)

4) Thus, Any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem in hand must take into account these factors.
Problem in hand simply means the problem under current consideration.
Problem at hand is probably better in this case.
I would reverse the last part of the sentence and change account into consideration.

Thus, any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem at hand must take these factors into consideration.

--lotus

Last edited:

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1) Entropy generation analysis of Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh while taking into consideration the tip gap region.

2) In other words, improving these factors can result in a considerable improvement in the Wells turbine performance near the stall point.
(Result is a good verb. Yield is also a good verb.)
In other words, improving these factors can yield considerable improvement in the Wells turbine performance near the stall point.

3) According to the obtained results, the minimum entropy generation coincides with the maximum efficiency of the first law of thermodynamics for different values of flow coefficient. (They are both at their minima, maxima or extrema: first derivative zero point)

4) Thus, Any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem in hand must take into account these factors.
Problem in hand simply means the problem under current consideration.
Problem at hand is probably better in this case.
I would reverse the last part of the sentence and change account into consideration.

Thus, any entropy generation analysis improvement on the problem at hand must take these factors into consideration.

--lotus

Hi lotus

Really thanks for your answer,

Only, in the case of sentences "Entropy generation analysis of Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh while taking into consideration the tip gap region.", What is this word"while"?....What does mean in this sentence?

I want to say that "via a fine mesh and with existence of the tip gap region are generate a correct estimation"

Now, How can you change sentence?

thanks for your guide.

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi,

according following sentences, how can to change the sentences? ......What does " if and where" mean?....In general, what does the following sentence mean?.......Is design a Subject?..or a verb?...or a noun?....for further explain, entropy generation is key parameter in designing blade of turbine. Now in this discussion, the some zones of blade have the high entropy generation, these zone are bad and requires to be controlled to reduce entropy generation, thus conserving useful energy.

Sentence:

"The entropy generation rate is computed locally, to assess if and where the design could be
improved."

thanks for every body,

best,

ali

Last edited:

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi lotus

Really thanks for your answer,

Only, in the case of sentences "Entropy generation analysis of Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh while taking into consideration the tip gap region.", What is this word"while"?....What does mean in this sentence?

I want to say that "via a fine mesh and with existence of the tip gap region are generate a correct estimation"

Now, How can you change sentence?

thanks for your guide.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but your sentence does not make grammatical sense. If the tip gap region is a factor in the estimation of flow irreversibility, I would say:

"Entropy generation analysis of the Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh, along with (consideration of, measuring, calibrating) the tip gap region."

--lotus

Last edited:

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi,

according following sentences, how can to change the sentences? ......What does " if and where" mean?....In general, what does the following sentence mean?.......Is design a Subject?..or a verb?...or a noun?....for further explain, entropy generation is key parameter in designing blade of turbine. Now in this discussion, the some zones of blade have the high entropy generation, these zone are bad and requires to be controlled to reduce entropy generation, thus conserving useful energy.

Sentence:

"The entropy generation rate is computed locally, to assess if and where the design could be
improved."

thanks for every body,

best,

ali

It's not a very good sentence. I would say:

The entropy generation rate is computed locally to assess whether the design can be improved.

If it means the computation is made locally to zone in on design flaws, I would say:

The entropy generation rate is computed at local zone regions to see if and where design improvements can be made.

"If and where" means if found and where it is found (design flaws which can be improved). Design is not the subject of the sentence. Entropy generation rate is the subject.

--lotus

Last edited:

ali_dd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but your sentence does not make grammatical sense. If the tip gap region is a factor in the estimation of flow irreversibility, I would say:

"Entropy generation analysis of the Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh, along with (consideration of, measuring, calibrating) the tip gap region."

--lotus

Hi,

thanks,

Yes,the tip gap region is a factor in the estimation of flow irreversibility ....so, Are the following sentences correct?

Entropy generation analysis of the Wells turbine requires correct estimation of flow irreversibilities around the turbine blades. This can be effectively done via a fine mesh, along with consideration of the tip gap region.

please see the following topic:

you Answered first post at up topic,......no one answered my posts at this topic for a while. for this reason, a other topic post....Excuse me every body...

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.