• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • Sri Lanka

Someone please tell me errors on this paragraph?

Hi,

I am beginner for English Language. My major problem is can't write long sentences and paragraph, I have written bellow paragraph, can someone please explain what are the errors I made, thank you.

If you want fill the gas tank. You better to go morning, because gas density gets high
    value in cool temperature than warm temperature. Also they said, when we at gas station
    if we see gas is being pumped to gas tanks, better to avoid buy gas. Because when gas pump
    the tank dust will come top of the tank. That dust will be fill to your car tank.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Someone please tell me errors on this paragraph?

Welcome to Using English.

I suggest you write this paragraph in your native French and then submit it with your attempted translation in our Other Languages forum for comment by our dual language speakers. (Click on the underlined link.)

Surely your first phrase would not end with a full stop in French?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • Sri Lanka

thank you for the reply

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by dondon525 View Post
    Hi,

I am a beginner for at learning English. Language. My major problem is that I can't write long sentences and paragraphs. I have written bellow the paragraph below. Can someone please explain point out what are the errors? I made, Thank you.

If you want fill the gas tank. You better to go morning, because gas density gets high
    value in cool temperature than warm temperature. Also they said, when we at gas station
    if we see gas is being pumped to gas tanks, better to avoid buy gas. Because when gas pump
    the tank dust will come top of the tank. That dust will be fill to your car tank.
    See my corrections to the first part of your post above. The structure of written French is similar to that of written English so I am surprised at your lack of correct capitalisation and punctuation. A sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a full stop in written French too.

Sometimes, it is possible to translate word-for-word, sometimes it's not. For example, in French your opening sentence would begin something like this:

Si vous voulez remplir le réservoir ...

Si = if
    vous voulez = you want
    remplir = to fill
    le reservoir = the tank

It's almost a direct translation but you omitted "to". In English, the translation of an infinitive takes the word "to" - sometimes "to" is included in the English version, sometimes it's not. Here it should have been. After "want", use the full infinitive.

Quote Originally Posted by dondon525 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.
    Every sentence must start with a capital letter and end with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.

As to your main paragraph, here is how I would write it:

If you want to fill your gas/petrol tank, it's better to go in the morning because gas/petrol is denser in cool temperatures. I have also been advised not to fill my tank while the pumps are being replenished. This is because, at this time, dust comes to the top of the pumps and that dust could be transferred into your petrol tank.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.