• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Question I'm looking for activities to teach pronouncing R and L to native Japanese speakers.

I am taking a certificate class in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. The next assignment is teaching native Japanese speakers to pronounce R and L.

I found a helpful video on You Tube. I was just reading the activities page on Daveís ESL Cafť. So far I have R and L Bingo, and a card game. Each student reads a card with sentences that are full of words containing Rs and Ls. Then she calls out the next student.

If you know of any activities for teaching R and L, please post a description and tell me about it.

(Please donít post: Do an internet search. I have searched and I will search some more. Iím asking here because itís another iron in the fire and itís nice to interact, at least virtually, with experienced teachers.)

Thank you for your help. A happy spring to everyone, Anthony

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm looking for activities to teach pronouncing R and L to native Japanese speake

Dear Anthony,

I am a dialect coach and would like to offer a small contribution. It is an excerpt from a popular e-course on the British accent I wrote. The following exercise is designed to teach the student what is known as the 'linking R' in British English. However, it can just as well be used to teach the pronunciation of 'R' in general. It is designed to be 'unnaturally difficult in order to make it easier in 'real life'. The objective is to sound a string 'R' every time the 'R-sound' appears at the end of a word which is then followed by a vowel. Example: PeteRin the stoReover at ouRold but ratheRamazing street corneRin... etc

Here we go:

'Linking /r/
    Peter in the store over at our old but rather amazing street corner in our area has the air of a more aggressive and better equipped salesman, as he and the other owner Oscar are known for all their amazing goods and their awfully hateful proclamations on sight of business competitors: ‘There are our enemies!’'