• English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Which dictionary do I need?

Hello, all.

I'm a 37 year old native speaker of English. I do a lot of writing, especially technical writing with regards to medicine and law. I also enjoy reading science fiction and classic novels. I frequently need to look up French and Latin that have been borrowed into English. I need a good dictionary. I need the meanings. I'm not so much interested in usage or etymology.

Recent words that I have had to look up include: punctilious, Elysian, martinet, peevish, vestiaire.

The Chamber's Dictionary is the best I can find on the shelf of any local bookstore. It could be a bit inferior to what I need, though. The Collins English Dictionary has fewer words and the pages are very thin. The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is pretty good but I still think the Chamber's is the best I've seen so far. But I will have to order it in and I can't examine the dictionary until after I've bought it.

Should I be looking at a multi-volume dictionary? What's the next step up from the Chamber's dictionary?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which dictionary do I need?

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

Before you spend any money on paper dictionaries which are going to go out of date in a few years, why not avail yourself of, a site which searches dozens of free online dictionaries — many of which give etymologies, foreign translation and pronunciations, and most of which are regularly updated.

Furthermore, if all these resources fail to satisfy, just ask us! We love a challenge and there's not much we can't help you with between us.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 31-Mar-2015 at 18:38.