Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Sir/Madam

For the question, “Whom did he criticize yesterday?”, should the answer be “That was me” or “That was I”. I think “That was me” sounds natural. Is it OK please?

Thank you

With regards

V P Kannan

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's natural.

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
However, some people say that after a be verb or linking verb, pronoun should be in subject form only, and therefore, "That was I" is only grammatically correct. Is "That was me" also grammatically correct?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Dave, but given the formality of the question (with the use of 'whom'), the more formal answer 'That was I' might be heard.

Click here to read a similar thread on the topic.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is "That was me" also grammatically correct?

Some grammatical traditionalists claim that it isn't. However, the vast majority of native speakers use it. I think the case for claiming that it is wrong is very weak. It's perfectly correct in my opinion.

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Though "That was me" is natural and even grammatically correct for “Whom did he criticize yesterday?”, I think the answer for "Who was at home yesterday when my friend came?" must be "I was" or "That was I" rather than "That was me" at least grammatically if not idiomatically.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a "rule" that a pronoun must be in the objective case if it is being used as an object. So "that was I" is "correct" following that "rule."

But this "rule" does not seem to be followed by the vast majority of actual native speakers, so it's usefulness as a rule is in question.

The rule applies generally, but I would consider this to be an idiosyncratic exception. I own a book on language called "Woe is I," the title pointing out this very "rule" and how un-natural it is. "Woe is me" is the normal way you would hear this. You could live a million years and never hear anyone say "woe is I."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Though "That was me" is natural and even grammatically correct for “Whom did he criticize yesterday?”, I think the answer for "Who was at home yesterday when my friend came?" must be "I was" or "That was I" rather than "That was me" at least grammatically if not idiomatically.

Many would say I was in answer to that, but almost no one would say That was I. Far more would answer with me than I. I was would not be questioned, but if you want to make out a case that That was I is somehow grammatically superior to That was me, please remember that the vast majority of native speakers prefer the inferior grammar. I would honestly be surprised if 1% of native speakers would use That was I.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And not many people would say “Whom did he criticize yesterday?” anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.