• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Help with english learning, CV writing.

I am writing my first-ever CV in my life and it is a nightmare for me... I will be living aboard of my country and using english my whole life, so i am trying to improve, taking courses (online for now, will take real ones pretty soon). So could someone give me any advices, sources (pref online) to help me improve ?
    Main problem: could someone fix this paragraph for me:
    I have been fascinated with computers from early childhood, my passion my whole life was understanding principles of operation behind any stuff (is it a car or a game server). I have started gaining revenue at age of 15 via websites and game servers development, e-commerce, SEO… I am targeting an Internship or Entry-Level Opportunity in: Software Engineering, Database Systems, IT…
    What do you think about it at all ? Since this is intro of my CV..
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 02-Apr-2015 at 07:34. Reason: Enlarged font to make post readable

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Help with english learning, CV writing.

Quote Originally Posted by umbalas View Post
    I am writing my first-ever first ever CV in my life and it is a nightmare for me. I will be living aboard abroad of my country and using English my whole life, all the time so I am trying to improve, taking courses (online for now but I will take real ones pretty soon). So Could someone give me any advices advice or sources (preferably online) to help me improve?

Main problem: could someone fix this paragraph for me?

I have been fascinated with computers from since early childhood. My lifelong passion my whole life has been understanding the principles of operation behind any stuff everything (is (be it a car or a game server). I have started gaining revenue earning at the age of 15 via by developing websites and game servers development, e-commerce and SEO. I am targeting seeking an internship or entry-level opportunity in (no colon required here) Software Engineering, Database Systems or IT.

What do you think about of it? at all ? Since This is the intro of my CV.
    Welcome to the forum.

Please see my corrections above, in red. You overused "my whole life" and "in my life" and they weren't appropriate when you did use them. Look at your use of tenses, spelling, punctuation and spacing.

We don't put a space before a full stop, question mark, comma or exclamation mark. We don't end sentences with 2 or 3 dots as you did. 1 full stop is enough. While you're learning, don't use abbreviations like "pref" for "preferably". Even though native speakers will know what you mean, it's good to get used to using words in full.

I don't know how CVs work in Ireland but here in the UK, we wouldn't generally have an introductory paragraph to a CV. A CV just contains your personal information - name, address, email address, employment history, educational history (if needed) and qualifications and experience in specific relevant areas. Your paragraph sounds like the start of the covering letter which usually accompanies a CV, but a covering letter should target the specific job you're applying for.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Hello :) and thank you really much :) This is what i needed and thank you for clarifying what is a covering letter. I did wanted (want ?) to include an opening paragraph to my unstandartized CV and send a standartized (europass) CV alongside. I am thinking about sending short CV/full CV/standartized CV via email, could that work against me or is it better to let the reader choose ?

Do you think that writing a covering letter would be better than having this paragraph in front of a CV ? Since CV should catch attention in 20-ish seconds and covering paragrah could do that, don't you think so ?

I do have some more short questions, tough:

How to say that i am really really fast and good in learning / understanding (grasping) new technologies ?
    How to say that i am really good at (grasping ?) aesthetics of any sort ? I do have a good understanding of aesthetics of any sort ?
    How to say that i did developed this at 2014 (should i use in 2014 ?) ?
    Should i say developed on wordpress or in wordpress if a wordpress is a core engine which helps to develop webpages on it ?
    Last edited by umbalas; 02-Apr-2015 at 17:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by umbalas View Post
    Hello :) and thank you really very much. :) This is what I needed and thank you for clarifying what is a covering letter is. I did wanted want (want ?) to include an opening paragraph to on my unstandartized (this word does not exist and I don't know what you meant so I can't provide an alternative) CV and send a standartized (europass) (see previous comment) CV alongside. I am thinking about sending short CV/full CV/standartized (see previous comment) CV via email. Could that work against me or is it better to let the reader choose? (As I said, don't put a space before a question mark.)

Do you think that writing a covering letter would be better than having this paragraph in front at the beginning of a CV? Since A CV should catch someone's attention in 20-ish seconds and a covering paragraph could do that, don't you think? so ?

I do have some more short questions (no comma required here) though:

How to do/should/can I say that I am really really fast and good in at learning/understanding (grasping) new technologies?
    How to do/should/can I say that I am really good at (grasping?) aesthetics of any sort? I do have a good understanding of aesthetics of any sort? (I don't know what aesthetics has to do with anything. Are you sure you understand the definition of the word?)
    How to do/should/can I say that I did developed this at in 2014? (Should I use "in" 2014?)
    Should I say "developed on Wordpress" or "in Wordpress" if a Wordpress is a core engine which helps is used to develop webpages? on it ?
    See my corrections above. You must remember to capitalise the word "I" and proper nouns at all times. As I said in my previous post, do not put a space before a question mark.

As I said in my previous post, I don't know what a standard CV in Ireland should look like. You might need to seek professional advice on that point.

As far as your question go:

- You can say "I learn new technologies very quickly" or similar.
    - I don't know what you mean by aesthetics in this context so I can't answer the question. Check the definition of "aesthetics".
    - Yes, you should use "in 2014".
    - I would use "I developed Wordpress websites".

"Unstandardatized" does not exist. Try to explain what you mean by this.
    Don't try to make your own emoticons (like :) ) - click on the button and choose the one you want.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.