Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #1

    true wretchedness

    Hi, friends. As I understand, the passage between the dashes is another way to say "true wretchedness."
    If yes, can I replace the dashes with "or"?
    "The true wretchedness, indeed — the ultimate wo — is particular, not diffuse."
    My version: Indeed, the true wretchedness or the ultimate wo are particular, not diffuse.
    Do they convey the same meaning?
    (http://poestories.com/read/premature)
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

  1. teechar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 6,180
    #2

    Re: true wretchedness

    True wretchedness, which is the ultimate woe, is particular, not diffuse.
    Non-defining relative clause.

  2. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,555
    #3

    Re: true wretchedness

    Again, my same question: What are you trying to do? You're rearranging, but you're not paraphrasing. For instance, "indeed" is not a paraphrase of "indeed." It's just repeating it in a different place.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #4

    Re: true wretchedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Again, my same question: What are you trying to do? You're rearranging, but you're not paraphrasing. For instance, "indeed" is not a paraphrase of "indeed." It's just repeating it in a different place.
    Dear Charlie, at present I am translating this story into Armenian. I want Armenians to get to know Poe better. My honest aspiration is to convey the mood of Poe stories to Armenian readers as perfectly as possible.
    What do you think about rephrasing? Can I rephrase my sentences instead of paraphrasing?
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 251
    #5

    Re: true wretchedness

    Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    True wretchedness, which is the ultimate woe, is particular, not diffuse.
    Non-defining relative clause.
    Dear teechar, could you, please, paraphrase the sentence? It sounds like a tautology. I cannot link these two expressions anyhow.
    2015 is the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide - the first genocide of the 20th century.

  3. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,555
    #6

    Re: true wretchedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Mher View Post
    Dear Charlie, at present I am translating this story into Armenian. I want Armenians to get to know Poe better. My honest aspiration is to convey the mood of Poe stories to Armenian readers as perfectly as possible.
    What do you think about rephrasing? Can I rephrase my sentences instead of paraphrasing?
    Oh! Now I get it.

    No, you don't need to rephrase everything. It looks like you're just trying to get Poe's meaning.

    Thanks for explaining.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,815
    #7

    Re: true wretchedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Mher View Post
    Dear teechar, could you, please, paraphrase the sentence? It sounds like a tautology. I cannot link these two expressions anyhow.
    Hoew about:

    True wretchedness is the ultimate sorrow and it is specific.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Do you think if (whether) it is true?
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2013, 10:43
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2013, 13:03
  3. [Vocabulary] 21.and true
    By notletrest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2010, 15:01
  4. is it true?
    By rokxio in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2008, 11:26
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-May-2006, 17:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •