• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

they have going around

Hello,

I got confused with below sentense.

Quoted:
    /The place had a lot of people in it but was still able to find a seat in the chairs that they have going around the perimeter of the restaurant sitting at the counter next to others./

I can't understand the part highlighted in red. The chairs have going around?? Can someone help me?

Thank you so much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: they have going around

"They" refers to the people who own/manage the restaurant. "going around the perimeter" means in a circle around the outer wall (not outside!) of the restaurant. So - he was able to find + a seat in the chairs + that they have + going around the perimeter.

He sat in one of the chairs that the restaurant owners had arranged against the walls.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "They" refers to the people who own/manage the restaurant. "going around the perimeter" means in a circle around the outer wall (not outside!) of the restaurant. So - he was able to find + a seat in the chairs + that they have + going around the perimeter.

He sat in one of the chairs that the restaurant owners had arranged against the walls.
    Thank you sosososo much!

But how about sitting at the counter next to others? others refer to other people?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In all honesty, that sentence is poorly written. The opening doesn't make any sense ("The place had a lot of people in it but was") - there might be a word missing (perhaps "he" before "was").

I think probably "he" sat in one of the seats which go around the perimeter of the room but that seat was by the counter next to other people.

It's not very clear. Where did you find the sentence?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In all honesty, that sentence is poorly written. The opening doesn't make any sense ("The place had a lot of people in it but was") - there might be a word missing (perhaps "he" before "was").

I think probably "he" sat in one of the seats which go around the perimeter of the room but that seat was by the counter next to other people.

It's not very clear. Where did you find the sentence?
    It's a comment from a tourist to a hotel..:)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

When writing reviews and comments, people don't always stick to comprehensible, grammatical statements. The person might have been writing in a hurry or, as many people do, writing as s/he would speak. I think we've got the gist of it.