• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

I can't understand the sentence, can you help me to understand the meaning?

Hello, I am reading a text in Political Science and I can't understand the meaning. Can you help me?

"The corollary of a predominantly externally-facing military organization is a pacified domestic population. In the domestic sphere, the population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

Its very problematic for me because this combination of words: externally-facing military organization
    and collective armed opposition.

Can someone please translate for me the sentence? And tell me how to read a sentence that has 3 nouns and adverb like I noted ??

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I can't understand the sentence, can you help me to understand the meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by captain1 View Post
    Hello, I am reading a text in Political Science and I can't understand the meaning. Can you help me?

"The corollary of a predominantly externally-facing military organization is a pacified domestic population. In the domestic sphere, the population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

A predominantly externally-facing military organization is a military that is mainly dedicated to countering threats from outside the country, as opposed to those that may originate inside the country. A corollary is a logical proposition that follows immediately or almost immediately from another proposition. So if the military is predominately externally-facing, it follows almost automatically that there are no significant threats originating within the country. In other words, the domestic population is pacified.

"The (domestic) population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

Citizens do not usually take up arms against their government.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    Now I understand!

Is it a problem to ask for another translation?(last one) this is important, because I have a test about it.

If you can help me I will be more than happy:

"While the modern state is separated from society in respect of the emergence of a public power
    from pre-existing patrimonial regimes, from an administrative or surveillance point of view,
    pre-modern states and their rulers were far more separated from their societies than are their modern counterparts"

I don't understand this:
    #Is the modern state more separated than patrimonial regimes but the modern state is not more separated from their societies than pre-modern?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We do not help with homework here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Anything you submit for grading or which forms the basis for a test or exam which will be graded is termed homework or an assignment. As Mike said, we don't help with that. You need to do your coursework on your own.

Thread closed.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.