[General] I can't understand the sentence, can you help me to understand the meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I am reading a text in Political Science and I can't understand the meaning. Can you help me?

"The corollary of a predominantly externally-facing military organization is a pacified domestic population. In the domestic sphere, the population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

Its very problematic for me because this combination of words: externally-facing military organization
and collective armed opposition.

Can someone please translate for me the sentence? And tell me how to read a sentence that has 3 nouns and adverb like I noted ??

Thank you.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I am reading a text in Political Science and I can't understand the meaning. Can you help me?

"The corollary of a predominantly externally-facing military organization is a pacified domestic population. In the domestic sphere, the population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

A predominantly externally-facing military organization is a military that is mainly dedicated to countering threats from outside the country, as opposed to those that may originate inside the country. A corollary is a logical proposition that follows immediately or almost immediately from another proposition. So if the military is predominately externally-facing, it follows almost automatically that there are no significant threats originating within the country. In other words, the domestic population is pacified.

"The (domestic) population does not, as a matter of routine, provide sources of collective armed opposition to the central authorities."

Citizens do not usually take up arms against their government.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Now I understand!:-D

Is it a problem to ask for another translation?(last one) this is important, because I have a test about it.

If you can help me I will be more than happy:

"While the modern state is separated from society in respect of the emergence of a public power
from pre-existing patrimonial regimes, from an administrative or surveillance point of view,
pre-modern states and their rulers were far more separated from their societies than are their modern counterparts"

I don't understand this:
#Is the modern state more separated than patrimonial regimes but the modern state is not more separated from their societies than pre-modern?

Thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We do not help with homework here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Anything you submit for grading or which forms the basis for a test or exam which will be graded is termed homework or an assignment. As Mike said, we don't help with that. You need to do your coursework on your own.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.