• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Each HAVE !?

Hi, while I was listening to the radio from NPR, I first doubted that I heard "have" right after "each" in the beginning of a sentence.
    I will provide a few more sentences before and after the underlined sentence in question, in order to help you figure out the whole context.

[Quoted]
    "Now I don't mean to imply with any of this that the Eastern way of interpreting struggle - or anything else - is better than the Western way, or vice versa. Each have their strengths and their weaknesses, which both side know. Westerners tend to worry that their kids won't be able to compete against Asian kids who excel in many areas, but especially in math and science. And Eastern cultures have their own set of worries."

Is it okay to use "have" as seen in the sentence?
    I tried to find out some similar questions, and there was one as linked below, which gave me some help but failed to answer my question adequately.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...ve-or-Each-has

In one of the answers for the linked question, it was written as:
    [Quoted]
    If the word "each" comes after a plural subject, use the plural verb (mentally ignore the word "each").
    Example: The conservative and the liberal each have voiced his opinion.

I can understand what this "rule" intends to explain, but should I think that "The Eastern way and the Western way" is just deliberately omitted in the beginning of the sentence in question, based on the context?

If the "have" is correctly used in the sentence I am asking, can I say
    "Each of them have their own strengths." instead of "Each of them has its own strength."?
    This makes me confused because I was just taught to use the singular only.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Yoon-Ho Kim; 07-Apr-2015 at 16:43.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Each HAVE !?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoon-Ho Kim View Post
    Hi, while I was listening to the radio from NPR, I first doubted that I heard "have" right after "each" in the beginning of a sentence.
    I will provide a few more sentences before and after the underlined sentence in question, in order to help you figure out the whole context.

[Quoted]
    "Now I don't mean to imply with any of this that the Eastern way of interpreting struggle - or anything else - is better than the Western way, or vice versa. Each have their strengths and their weaknesses, which both sides know. The basic problem that is throwing you off, in my opinion, is that the preceding sentence is incorrect, although the usage is heard regrettably often. "Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses" or "Each side has its ...". Westerners tend to worry that their kids won't be able to compete against Asian kids who excel in many areas, but especially in math and science. And Eastern cultures have their own set of worries." "Have" is the only correct usage, because "cultures" is plural.

Is it okay to use "have" as seen in the sentence?
    I tried to find out some similar questions, and there was one as linked below, which gave me some help but failed to answer my question adequately.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...ve-or-Each-has

In one of the answers for the linked question, it was written as:
    [Quoted]
    If the word "each" comes after a plural subject, use the plural verb (mentally ignore the word "each").
    Example: The conservative and the liberal each have voiced his opinion.

I can understand what this "rule" intends to explain, but should I think that "The Eastern way and the Western way" is just deliberately omitted in the beginning of the sentence in question, based on the context?

If the "have" is correctly used in the sentence I am asking, can I say
    "Each of them have their own strengths." instead of "Each of them has its own strength."?
    This makes me confused because I was just taught to use the singular only.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Hope that helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Each HAVE !?

Thank you, Probus!