Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Puzzle#4 - What should you ask them in order to escape from the room?

Could you please check for any grammatical errors?

You are in trapped in a room in which there are two exits, exit 1 and exit 2. You are behind the exit 1, a hungry lion is behind the exit 2. There are two more persons Ren and Rex along with you. Ren is a nice man who always tell the truth, but Rex always lies. Both of them know what is behind the each door, but you do not know who is the nice guy and who is a lier. You may ask one of them just one question.

What should you ask them in order to escape from the room and also avoid a hungry lion?
    "In sandy soil, when deep you delve, you reach the springs below; The more you learn, the freer streams of wisdom flow." - Thiruvalluvar

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Puzzle#4 - What should you ask them in order to escape from the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar Nadimuthu View Post
    Could you please check for any grammatical errors?

You are in trapped in a room in which there are two exits, Exit 1 and Exit 2. You are behind the Exit 1 (no comma required here) and a hungry lion is behind the Exit 2. There are two more persons people (Ren and Rex) along with you. Ren is a nice man who always tells the truth, but Rex always lies. Both of them know what is behind the each door, but you do not know who is the nice guy and who is a lier liar. You may ask one of them just one question.

What should you ask them in order to escape from the room and also avoid a hungry lion?
    Note my corrections above. I have capitalised "Exit 1" and "Exit 2" as they are effectively the "titles" or "names" of the exits. When you are using those names, you don't need to use the definite article in front of them.

Is it mere coincidence that Rex and Ren were also the names of the men in your previous thread about scaffolding trade tests?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You ask both of them which door the the other man will say the lion is behind. Choose the opposite door.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Sorry, The above is wrong answer. I didn't read properly. You (trapped man) can ask anyone of them (either Ren or Rex).
    Last edited by Kumar Nadimuthu; 08-Apr-2015 at 16:39.
    "In sandy soil, when deep you delve, you reach the springs below; The more you learn, the freer streams of wisdom flow." - Thiruvalluvar

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Mike's suggested solution (and your agreement) don't fit your original post. In the original, it clearly says you can ask only one of the men one question. If I remember rightly, you ask person A this "If I asked person B which exit to take, would he tell me to take Exit 1?" From there, you can extrapolate that whether person A is telling the truth or lying, the result is the same. Apologies if I've messed that up. It's very early in the morning!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I agree. Additionally, I think it's necessary to specify that Ren and Rex are aware of each other's honesty (or lack of same).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

He says you can ask "them" one question. That implies that both men can be asked. I agree that the puzzle was not set up correctly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

And the immediately preceding sentence: "You may ask one of them just one question". That implies that, when you ask them, you can only ask one of them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Close ems, but "If I asked person B which exit to take, would he tell me to take Exit 1?" doesn't work. You need to ask "If I asked person B which exit the lion was behind, would he say Exit 1?" The answer is supposed to be something with a truth value (of true or false). Either a liar or a truth-teller may not care if you are eaten by a lion.

Also, if you are behind Exit 1 with two other people, and lion is behind Exit 2, it doesn't work. You all have to be in front of two exits, behind one of which is a lion.

Otherwise, it's correct. You only have to ask one question of one man, as stated. So it's not much of a puzzle if you're allowed more questions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I am not a teacher.

There is a more elegant and less convoluted question that works, asssuming that they are aware of each other's honesty or lack thereof.

'Does the liar guard the door to freedom?' If the answer is 'no' you take that door, if it's 'yes' you take the other one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast