• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Scientists have discovered the genetic secrets of two unpopular members...

Scientists have discovered the genetic secrets of two unpopular members of two favorite food families. They hope the discoveries will produce tastier tomatoes and stronger rice. The scientists discovered the complete set of genetic rules of African rice and wild tomatoes. They published their studies in two reports in the journal Nature Genetics. There are good reasons African rice and wild tomatoes have not been popular. Asian rice is more productive and easier to process than African rice. The wild tomato is poisonous.

Rod Wing is a plant biologist at Arizona State University. He helped map the African rice genes. And there is some good news to report. He says African rice can grow in salty and even poisonous soil. And it can grow around weeds and in extremely dry conditions. He says this strength is increasingly important as climate change makes crop production more difficult. He says that this is important because the Earth’s population is growing quickly.

Scientists will be able to make better rice. They can now identify the genes that control what is good about African rice and combine those genes with Asian rice.

The wild tomato also has some good qualities. Scientists found that it can grow in salty as well as dry conditions, like the African rice. Bjorn Usadel of Germany’s RWTH Aachen University is one of the scientists who published the genetic maps of the two plants. The map identifies the genes that may be responsible for these qualities.

The new map could also help improve the quality of tomatoes sold in food stores. Many people say these tomatoes do not taste very good. Mr Usadel says researchers found differences in the genes of wild and farm-grown tomatoes that affect how they taste and smell.

The scientist says there is another use for the map. He says it will permit scientists to make sure that any new kinds of tomatoes developed from wild tomato do not carry any of its poisonous genes.

Which of the following is the best title?
    A. Compare the Genes of Asian Rice and African Rice
    B. Secrets for Tastier Tomatoes and Strong Rice
    C. A New Genetic Map was discovered
    D. Combine the Genes of Wild and Farm-Grown Tomatoes

I think B is correct, but the answer key is C. What’s your opinion?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Scientists have discovered the genetic secrets of two unpopular members...

Submit your answer to your teacher first.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I have done that. My teacher just told me the answer key and didn’t explain clearly, so I took dozens of minutes to type out this passage word by word and posted it here to get some native speaker’s help. Thus I could learn something. I didn’t mean to bother you but that there was nobody to turn to except you. Would you be kind enough to tell me your idea from a native speaker’s point of view?
    Thanks very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I think B is just as good as, and probably superior to C. In fact, two genetic maps have been discovered.
    The title might depend on where the article is published, and what their house style is.
    In any case, if C, the title would be "C. A New Genetic Map has been discovered".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by diamondcutter View Post
    My teacher just told me the answer key and didn’t explain clearly...
    Fair enough. In future, please point that out at the head of your post; we don't want other students to get the idea that we just hand out answers to homework questions.