• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question Is it correct to say a company is 'Chairman' of a professional association?

Hello,

The context here is that of a professional association consisting of companies, or that of a consortium. If a particular company heads that association, is it correct to say that that company (say, Company A) is the 'Chairman' of that association, and another company (say, Company B) is the 'Vice-Chairman' of that association? I mean, actually an employee of Company A (and not the company) is elected to head the association, to be more accurate, right? That is why I am confused about how to convey this information.

Thank you
    Last edited by Olympian; 10-Apr-2015 at 13:34. Reason: rearranged word sequence for clarity

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is it correct to say a company is 'Chairman' of a professional association?

No. A chairman, chairwoman, chair, or chairperson is always a person, an individual. If there are more than one person chairing, they're called co-chairs.

You might call a corporation with subsidiaries a holding company, a corporate umbrella, or a parent company.

In a professional association, you might call the group that heads it the convenor.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    No. A chairman, chairwoman, chair, or chairperson is always a person, an individual. If there are more than one person chairing, they're called co-chairs.

You might call a corporation with subsidiaries a holding company, a corporate umbrella, or a parent company.

In a professional association, you might call the group that heads it the convenor.
    Thank you for the clarification. I have two more questions related to this:

1. If 'Convener' can be thought of as 'Chairman', which word would be the equivalent of 'Vice-Chairman' -
    a. Assistant Convener
    b. Vice Convener (or Vice-Convener)

2. If the word 'Head' (or Head of the Association) is used instead of 'Convener', which word would be suitable for the assistant/vice position? Does 'Assistant Head of the Association' sound very strange?

Thank you for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have never heard "Assistant Convener" or "Vice Convener" or "Assistant Head".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I am lost here. I was attempting to help someone proofread their English translation. Apparently in the original language (Chinese) they have a word for it where it is quite 'natural' for them to say that a company is the 'Head' and 'Assistant Head' of an organization. They had translated it as 'Chairman' and 'Vice Chairman'. Since this did not sound ok to me, I posted the question here. I am not able to suggest a replacement for these.

I looked up examples of professional associations/organizations such as standards committees for things like Bluetooth Standards Committee or Bluetooth Special Interest Group. There they use words like 'promoter member' in the following way: "Each Promoter member has one seat (and one vote) on the Board of Directors and the Qualification Review Board (the body responsible for developing and maintaining the qualification process)." But I did not find anything about who is heading the group and about the 'assistant' position.

How about 'In-charge' and 'assistant in-charge'? Would that make some sense in this context?

BTW, I found an occurrence of 'Assistant Convener' here:
    http://govolunteer.com.au/Opportunit...ation-section?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In BrE, "Head" and "Assistant Head" refer to the headmaster/headmistress and their assistants in a school.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.