• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

... through window is exactly, how the postseason playoffs work in baseball, ...

Hi, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part of the following sentence from “I am a stranger here myself” by Bill Bryson. Would you please explain it to me? Thanks a lot.

These pieces were written in the first instance for a British readership and of necessity included chunks of explication that an American would find unnecessary-what a drive-through window is exactly, how the postseason playoffs work in baseball, who Herbert Hoover was, that sort of thing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ... through window is exactly, how the postseason playoffs work in baseball, ...

Exactly.

These are things in the book that any American would know, but they need to be explained to British readers.

For example, I guess Brits don't know what a "drive-thru" is. They probably get out of their cars when they want to eat.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: ... through window is exactly, how the postseason playoffs work in baseball, ...

Thank you, but that was not complete. Would you please explain other: "how the postseason playoffs work in baseball, who Herbert Hoover was"? Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

British people don't follow baseball. So you can't expect them to know how Americans decide on a champion. Any more than I understand cricket.

Herbert Hoover was the American president in the 1920s. Many, if not most Americans would recognize the name and know he was a president. But average Brits would not be expected to know this, any more than I know who the British Prime Minister was in the 1920s. I would wager that most Americans could not name the current PM, let alone one from history that isn't named "Churchill" or "Thatcher."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Sadly, we have "drive-thru"s here too. Not only do I not approve of the concept (giving people even more opportunity to avoid exercise) but I grind my teeth every time I see "thru", rather than "through".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.