• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

What to say

Dear teachers,

Could you please kindly tell me what to say on the following occasions?

1. Apart from " Happy New Year" do people greet each other other ways?

2. At a wedding what to say to the bride and the groom?

3. When a person is ill what should I say to him?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What to say

It depends. If it's January 1, "Happy New Year" is a traditional greeting. If it's at a party on the evening of December 31, you can say things like "Cheers!" or "Here's to 200X (whatever the new year is)!"

If it's any other time of year, there are a variety of greetings people use. Hello!, Nice to see you., How are you?, What's up?, How are things?, etc. It depends upon how formal the occasion is and how well you know the person you're greeting.

The standard response would be "Congratulations!" You could also add "I'm so happy for you two" or "I wish you both the best of luck." If you're a friend of the bride, you might add something like "Your dress is beautiful" or mention how moving the ceremony was. (As a rule, the happy couple has spent a lot of money on their wedding, so any positive comments you can make about the flowers, music, clothes or whatever will be much appreciated.)

It depends upon how ill the person actually is. If he has something from which he will recover (measles, a broken leg, bronchitis, etc), "Get well soon" or "I hope you feel better very soon" are traditional statements. If he is seriously ill and there is no chance for a happy outcome, it's hard to know what to say. "Is there anything I can do for you?" or simply "I'm thinking of you" are some ideas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: What to say

Hi Quisch,
    Thank you so much for your help. Now I see.

Best wishes,
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch

It depends. If it's January 1, "Happy New Year" is a traditional greeting. If it's at a party on the evening of December 31, you can say things like "Cheers!" or "Here's to 200X (whatever the new year is)!"

If it's any other time of year, there are a variety of greetings people use. Hello!, Nice to see you., How are you?, What's up?, How are things?, etc. It depends upon how formal the occasion is and how well you know the person you're greeting.

The standard response would be "Congratulations!" You could also add "I'm so happy for you two" or "I wish you both the best of luck." If you're a friend of the bride, you might add something like "Your dress is beautiful" or mention how moving the ceremony was. (As a rule, the happy couple has spent a lot of money on their wedding, so any positive comments you can make about the flowers, music, clothes or whatever will be much appreciated.)

It depends upon how ill the person actually is. If he has something from which he will recover (measles, a broken leg, bronchitis, etc), "Get well soon" or "I hope you feel better very soon" are traditional statements. If he is seriously ill and there is no chance for a happy outcome, it's hard to know what to say. "Is there anything I can do for you?" or simply "I'm thinking of you" are some ideas.