Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I cannot understand the meaning of the red parts of the following sentence from “I’m a stranger here myself” by Bill Bryson. Would you please explain it to me? Thanks a lot.

As well, there has been the constant, unexpected joy of reencountering all those things I grew up with but had largely forgotten: baseball on the radio, the deeply satisfying whoing-bang slam of a screen door in summer, insects that glow, sudden run-for-your-life thunderstorms, really big snowfalls, Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July, the smell of a skunk from just the distance that you have to sniff the air quizzically and say: "Is that a skunk?", Jell-O with stuff in it, the pleasingly comical sight of oneself in shorts. All that counts for a lot, in a strange way. So, on balance, I was wrong. You can go home again. Just bring extra money for road maps and remember to ask for spackle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you know about onomatopoeia? "Whoing-bang" is an example of it. The writer thinks that is what the noise of a screen door slamming sounds like.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Jell-O is American for 'jelly'. The items in jars labelled 'jelly' is American jam.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=jelly&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=639&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rvYpVYW0H6avmAXxlIHoDw&ved=0CCIQsAQ

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you all, but I do not know why the author think that the voice of a slammed door is joying?!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As an adult, you walk out the door, close it behind you, turn and lock it, and walk away.

As a care-free kid, you run out of the house and just let the screen door slam closed behind you. It's nostalgia.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, Jello has nothing to do with jelly or jam. We have all three.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jello is a brand name which is used generically for the fruit-flavored gelatin dessert.
Jam is a sweet spread made with fruit, to put on your toast or other bread product.
Jelly is the same as jam, but made with fruit juice rather than fruit itself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, "jelly" is the fruit-flavoured gelatine dessert. It's eaten on its own or as part of a trifle or as part of "jelly and ice cream", a kids' favourite. "Jell-o" is not used in BrE. Most of us know it either as the brand name of a jelly in America or as the AmE generic term for the substance.

"Jam" is fruit boiled up with sugar and pectin. It's then used in sandwiches, on toast, as a layer in a cake, spread on scones in the famous English cream tea, or stirred into rice pudding.

Status
Not open for further replies.