Interested in Language
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,

I'd like to ask a question. I understand that you have to capitalise the first letter of a name, like John.
I also understand that we can capitalise the first letter of name substitutes in relationships, for example: Don't call Dad today.

However, I don't know what to do with this...

Don't call little old mouse today. Should I write: "Don't call Little Old Mouse today"?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That is a given name or a nickname, so it needs to be capitalized.

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The same should apply to pet names.

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The same should apply to pet names.
True, and 'pet names' refer to both the names of one's pets, and to the cutesy names one gives to one's girlfriend/boyfriend.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Matthew Wai, I would like to point out that your use of "should" is frequently inappropriate. I don't know if you're trying to say "I think XXX is right" or something similar but "should" doesn't convey the same thing.
Each time you write "XXX should also be correct" or something similar, it sounds as if it's about to be followed by "... but it's not" or " ... but that's not what you said".

The same applies to your post in this thread - "The same should apply to pet names". You need to write either "The same applies to pet names" (if you know that for certain) or "I think/believe that the same applies to pet names" (if you're not 100% certain).

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Each time you write "XXX should also be correct" or something similar, it sounds as if it's about to be followed by "... but it's not" or " ... but that's not what you said".
Could it be followed by '... if no teachers thought otherwise'?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I took you to mean "And learners should use capitals for pet names too."
But you might have meant "In that case, then I/one would assume that capitalisation also applies to pet names."
Why don't you tell us what you meant before asking more questions that assume that we know what you meant?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Matthew Wai, I would like to point out that your use of "should" is frequently inappropriate. I don't know if you're trying to say "I think XXX is right" or something similar but "should" doesn't convey the same thing.

The same applies to your post in this thread - "The same should apply to pet names". You need to write either "The same applies to pet names" (if you know that for certain) or "I think/believe that the same applies to pet names" (if you're not 100% certain).

I suspect that Matthew spends a lot of time listening to Americans. We often use "should" the way he does in your examples.

- A pound of pasta should do it.
- They should be here any time.

It expresses expectation.

You're absolutely right about the meaning of the word, and he should (should!) pay attention. But when he says: "XXX should also be correct," American English speakers take him to mean: "If I'm right, then XXX should also be correct."

And that's how I read his sentence.

Bonus alternate usage: My Jewish grandmother used to say things like "You should live so long." (Meaning "Don't get your hopes up, it will never happen.")

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, I don't think you could have been. 2. is about advice. "The same should apply to pet names" isn't giving advice. It's not about what people should do.
What I was asking was for you to explain your meaning, not look up a dictionary, but just say what you meant in different words (without should). Only you know what you meant. And we can't tell you if adding or subtracting anything would make a difference to your message unless we know what the message is.

"should
2 advice

used to give or ask for advice:

What should I do? Should I trust him?
You should read his new book.
I should stay in bed if I were you."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But when he says: "XXX should also be correct," American English speakers take him to mean: "If I'm right, then XXX should also be correct."
If I understand correctly, it should be what I meant when using 'should' in such a context. I simply omitted the if-clause. Was it unacceptable?

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If I understand correctly, it should be what I meant when using 'should' in such a context. I simply omitted the if-clause. Was it unacceptable?

Not a teacher.
Maybe, but unfortunately you've now used 'should' again in a context where it doesn't work in #11.
What does it mean to say you should have meant something? You either meant it, or you did not mean it.
Maybe Americans will understand you to mean, "If what Charlie says is correct, then readers should understand what I meant when I used 'should' in "it should be what I meant". For me, it's almost meaningless.
You might mean, "That is how it should have been interpreted by the reader." If that's what you mean, I disagree. If you mean, "That is how I intended the reader to interpret it," then that's different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.